Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pond X1

Fished pond X1 and caught 6(fish) LMB like this one. I was sight fishing with a lizard.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: Pond X1

The really neat thing about sight fishing for bass is you get to drag them off the beds so predators like bluegills and crappie can decimate the eggs. That way you can insure the bass will abandon the bed and you'll have poor recruitment. Ed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well Ed we could debate the ethics of fishing for bedding bass for a while .but there are several things you need to know about this pond. The bass was returned to the bed right after the picture. It circled the the bed and returned to the nest in 2 minutes. I continued to fish the area and all those blue gill and crappie were no were to be found.

While you are on your soap box have you ever fished for spawning walleye,crappie,trout,bluegill or salmon?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

Its not the same thing and I think you know it. Fishing for bedding bass doesn't take any skill-you just have to piss the fish off to the point where it will try to remove the lure from the bed. Here in CO bass have a hard enough time during the spawn-cold fronts, dropping water levels, egg predators etc, etc, etc. Why make it that much harder on them just to drag a few fish back to the boat? You can fish for bass on the pre-spawn or bass on the post spawn-why harrass the bass that are trying to propogate the species. And I'm not on a soapbox. I just wish people would stop and think about the harm they are doing. Ed

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

we go fishing for why???? i go to catch and release fish. it must be hard to be almost perfect with colorados ecology.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

let's see rainbows spawn in the spring, no more fising for them then, browns in the fall,same idea, bass in the spring,same same. pike and walleyes in the spring so no trout fishing in the spring as you might catch one, and no bass fishing either as you might kill off the species that are stocked anyway. i see the light now.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

Ed Marcol said:
The really neat thing about sight fishing for bass is you get to drag them off the beds so predators like bluegills and crappie can decimate the eggs. That way you can insure the bass will abandon the bed and you'll have poor recruitment. Ed
Jeez. I agree with 99% of what you say ed but the guy was just trying to show his fish and how he caught em. I know it stresses the fish but at least he put em back. Bass aren't as fragile as trout and probably went back and spawned successfully anyway.
Nice fish pescado

·
Registered
118 Posts

As long as you release the fish there is nothing wrong. Male bass don't fertilize just one set of eggs, they continue to fertilize over and over with different females as long as the temperature is in the range. Nature's way of protecting her fish by redundancy. In fact back to back cold fronts are the leading killer of spawning bass eggs not fisherman or other fish. Now if you were to keep a spawning fish then that would be a cardinal sin, big no, no. On the other side of things I never let the fish fight to long and will usually release the fish with out removing it from the water.( barbless ) The fish is never away for any long amount of time.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

pope said:
In fact back to back cold fronts are the leading killer of spawning bass eggs not fisherman or other fish.
that's why I'm so worried the spawn has failed this year. The fish at jerry creek are very confused right now with this wierd weather.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

TFBear-I realize he returned them.  And I realize he is just showing fish that he caught.  Look, I am sure that I inadvertantly catch a lot of bass that are on the beds and don't even know it.  What I am hoping for is an honest, serious discussion of "targeting" bass on the beds.  Its a subject about which resonable fishermen can disagree.  Fishing for spawning bass is not something I do because I believe its the one time of the year we should at least try to leave them alone.  Others are free to feel and act differently.  Ed

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

I just find it interesting that Pescador defended himself to Ed, but didn't respond to Red Socks Rock's (a new member's) question.  :-\
Also, I have read alot on fishing for bedded Bass (for & against). Nothing like that w/ trout. This is Colorado. I love fishing for Trout and Bass. However I can fish for Trout all over, and year round. I have to drive an hour to fish for Bass. I'm not trying to take any sides. I'm just saying, you can't compare the two.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

This is a tough subject...i have mixed feelings on idea of targeting spawning fish, and i have to say i have been guilty of catching about every freshwater species i have pursued in the past while it was (or getting ready to) spawn. you know...sometimes its hard to resist the temptation when the fish are right there in front of you. im sure everyone on this board whom has fished for more than a day or two has done it at one time or another, even if inadvertently. I suppose it is acceptable to do on occasion, but sometimes i have felt guilty about pulling a fish off of a spawning bed so i dont usually do it too often. my advice, if i may give it, is perhaps practice a little self control when presented with these conditions...catch a fish or two, but move on. let them do there thing, and appreciate the fact you could actually witness them performing an act of nature.

nice bass, by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Bass are on the beds right now. Sight fishing for bedding bass is the most exciting fishing I have ever done. The FLW tour has a stop during the spawn where the rule is it must be hooked in the mouth, no snagging. I use a jig with an extra stinger hook to catch them on the beds. Get out there and wash the beds clean.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

I still want to know where, what, who,when, ect Pond X1 is!!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

---Get out there and wash the beds clean---

lol. sorry, had to quote that. im sure that one might provoke some repsonses....

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

WoW, This is a tough one for me also.

I for one do catch bedding bass but quickly return them back to the water ASAP. I have caught fish 10ft from my feet, after rel them I watch them swim back to their beds. I agree with both partys on this but like someone said, we fish to catch fish. I could start a new thread on how I hate when people dont return fish to the water. Catch and release is all i'll do. While I think all fish should be returned to the water, im in no position to tell anyone else NOT to keep fish. The same holds true on this subject.

If you dont agree with it dont do it!!!But dont tell others they cant. As long as your not breaking the law than do what you want.

ALSO, WHERE IS THIS PLACE THAT STARTED THIS THREAD???

-JAY

1 - 20 of 37 Posts