Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 11-13-05,11:00am.-1:00pm., Needed to end the skunk smell from Harriman last week. Went to the south-west pond next to C470 and Sante Fe..
Caught about 9 or 10 stocker rainbows, 12" pretty good fight in em. Used nightcrawlers on a single hook, weighted with a shot, floating from a slip float about 4-5'. Some others there  were fishing off the bottom with no luck. I was only able to cast maybe 20 or so yards out but that was enough. Most of the hits were atleast 15 yds. out. Iv'e tried many different lures and flies there with no luck. I might not have been deep enough. Great place to take the kids if you use the floats, they were swallowing the bait pretty deep, bring extra hooks or a good de-hooker.
Peace Out ;)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Re: Ponds C470/ Sante Fe

I was there yesterday just before you. Couldn't get any action on lures of all kinds, then had to leave. Should have brought some bait.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

Where is this place? Is it S on Sante Fe? from 470?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jay_In_Parker said:
Where is this place? Is it S on Sante Fe? from 470?
[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
It's on the northwest quarter of C-470 and Sante Fe, but you can only get into the park from the west bound lanes of C470. And you can only leave going west also.
Once you pass Sante Fe going west on C470, you will see an entrance to a gravel pit on the right. Take that turn and then look to your right for the gated entrance to the park. If you pass the exit for Platte Canyon/ Kendall, you've gone too far. It's free but it's only open from sun-up to sun-down.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

james said:
Are they called something w/ "Spratt" in the name ? If not do you know the ponds I'm talking about ? I know they're off Santa Fe.
This is called South Platte park, I believe. I think the Spratte reservoir is in Thorton.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

South Platte Park. Thanks. Dan gave directions on here once, but it was kind of hard to search for them w/out knowing their name. ::) Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

Oh south platte ponds? So its at 470 and platte canyon.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
24,509 Posts

If you guys use Google Earth you can get a pretty close up view from above of any pond and make a plan of action as far as access and parking...

·
Registered
17 Posts

Here is south suburban park and rec's website link to south platte park. I think there are maps on the page on how to access the park as well as maps showing the individual lakes.

I used to work there along time ago as a junior park ranger, we put bass habitat in a lot of the lakes to help give the old gravel quarries some structures so fish could have shelter and reproduce. Otherwise old gravel quarries are like a tupperware bowl and fish will die off quickly once they are stocked.

http://www.ssprd.org/southsubNew/nature.asp?bid=&sid=

·
Registered
16,527 Posts

zman said:
If you guys use Google Earth you can get a pretty close up view from above of any pond and make a plan of action as far as access and parking...
I checked it out and ya gotta have certain computer capabilities,which arent free!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

SLAYERFISH said:
zman said:
I checked it out and ya gotta have certain computer capabilities,which arent free!
As a vidoe game junkie I can vouche for that. :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

HRSeeker, The pond I fished was the [second one]west of the river. The first one harbors a ton of little blue gill, one time I took a small rs22 fly and a water bobber with a tippet lead and caught several blue gill, but none over 3". Might be good to drum up some bait for ice fishing later in the year.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

since we're on the subject of ponds on the side of 470 I have one for yall thats loaded with bass and blue gill. Its off to the right of 470 by the jordan exit heading west. Just look that way while you drive by some time. Through the summer this pond gets pretty choked with vegetation so the best way to about it is top water. I fly fish and I like bringing out the 5 weight and tossing small poppers and dries if you'd like. Its kinda tough to find a place to cast from so bring your waders and walk out onto this log that sticks out about 20 feet. Not a lot of large fish but definetly the place to catch 20 fish in an hour or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the tip TS4, sounds like waders would be helpful. Would they alow a small boat or float tube? They don't let you wade or float or boat at the south platte ponds.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
yea "they" is not defined. No one really regulates it to my knowledge and getting their is a trip. There is the Cherry Creek Bike path that gives you one access point and some apartments about a quarter of a mile away that gives you another. If you feel like hauling a belly boat or what not in, then I would say that would probably be fine. Check it out first with waders and decide if its really worth it the next time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I talked to a park ranger at SP park and he told me it was do to the rocky terrain on the bottom of these gravel ponds. Too unstable to wade in, and if you fell outta the boat he said you could get your foot stuck and drown.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts