Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All those of you out there with interest in what we called "farm ponds", are you followers of the Pond Boss magazine forum?
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php
Try it out.
I've got a small pond~quarter acre or so, with catchables in it-perch, rainbow slimeys, largemouth and smallmouth. Also, there are lots of crayfish, a couple of grass carp, possibly a pike (small the last time I saw it).
I'd like to share fishing and managing ideas with anyone who has experience with their own favorite pond.
Fire away.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I would make sure that you don't get a too much abundance of fish in there! Too many cause the fish to get stunned and and not grow much over 3".... I see you do have a pike in there, so that should help out on that. Our ponds that we have back home are fully stcked with Crappie, blue gill and bass. When we catch the blue gill we toss them on the banks for the coons. They seem to over populate the most out of the other species! I personally wouldn't put a pike in my pond. But we do throw good size mud cats in there to thin out the blue gill and bolt heads. Since putting the cats in there we haven't caught too many bolt heads. I would buy a ph test kit first thing and go from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts