Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first pontoon late last year. Took it out a couple of times with the oars and did Ok, but I can imagine being at the mercy of the wind in south park and am thinking about getting a trolling motor.

How much thrust should I be looking for?

Do you have any recommendations on a reliable motor at a reasonable price? I don't need top of the line for the number of times I can get out.

What are the regulations when it comes to adding a motor? Do I need to get it registered and everything then?

Thanks.
Humble

·
Registered
21 Posts
Humble,
Several factors need to go into your decision on motor size and battery. I fish off an outcast 900 and originally had a 45-50lb thrust motor on to "fight the wind" of S Park or the laramie plains. While a motor that size moved me along at a pretty good clip it also drained the battery(I can't remeber the rating but it was the largest deep cycle carried at Checker) in 4-8 hours of continuous use. That being said I've reduced the size of my motor to a 32 or 36lb thrust using the same battery and running at lower speeds, can go ~14 hours on a charge. Just remeber the longer you run your motor and the speed at which you run both affect how fast the battery will drain. I run a minnkota from walmart ~$150.
Has anyone ever tried the solar trickle charges I've seen at various places to increase the "run time" using a battery?
3xflyfisher

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
3xflyfisher said:
Has anyone ever tried the solar trickle charges I've seen at various places to increase the "run time" using a battery?
3xflyfisher
I would think that a solar trickle charger would help very little in the few hours you are on the water. Now, a windmill is a different matter, especially in South Park. I would think you could generate enough power for several Chevy Volts to run for days. ;D

·
Registered
273 Posts
You do need registration. I had to take my Outcast down to the Co State Parks office in the Springs and have it manually inspected as it had no VIN Number (?). That was kind of a gaggle as the right person has to be there to do it. plan ahead...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice and input. I'm not sure if the $35 is going to be worth it to take it out with a motor 4 times a year. I guess I need to stop being such a cheapskate and just do it. Being able to zip around the lake and not having to row, not to mention the safety benefits are worth $9 a trip.

I've got cards to use at Bass Pro so I think that is my next step. Won't be long until it is time to get out on the water.

Humble

·
Registered
152 Posts
Even if you put a motor on it you still need to know how to row. A trolling motor on some pontoons steers very delicately. My friend just bought one with a trolling motor and oversteered the thing and didn't get much enjoyment out of it. I personally think it's easier to row yourself and it's good excercise. I avoid windy times, like the middle of the day, but I fish Granby and it gets windy very quickly to say the least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts