Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?m thinking about buying a one man pontoon to fly fish out of, anyone know where I can rent one for a day or weekend, I would like to try one out first before I buy, just to see if I?m going to like using them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't help with the search for a rental but . . .I was in the same situation around 4 years ago and ended up with a watermaster kickboat.  It is basically a scaled down river raft with half a bottom.  The pros are it breaks down and sets up very quickly (10 min) and stores in a backback.  It also is rated for 500lbs and can easily take a load of camping gear for overnight float trips.  If you drive a full size truck and have a garge for storage, these aren't important features.  They are critical for me.

If you decide to go the pontoon route, there are a lot of options out there but one of the better one-man pontoons is the Buck's Bag in either southfork or bronco model.  My buddy has the bronco and loves it.  It takes an hour to set up but it rides great and can also take quite a load of camping gear.

I enjoy fishing out of my watermaster just as much as riding in a drift boat.  Having full control of the boat and fishing simultaneously takes a little practice but it's a blast.  Have fun researching!

TP

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own an Outcast "fishcat 8" it is a blast. The boat is built really well. I haven't had any problems with it. my suggestion is to look for a boat with at least 1200 denier nylon and 2" metal tube. the only thing I don't like about the fishcat 8 is the poor anchor system. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
troutpocket said:
If you decide to go the pontoon route, there are a lot of options out there but one of the better one-man pontoons is the Buck's Bag in either southfork or bronco model. My buddy has the bronco and loves it.
I have a buck's bags one and it works well. We have floated class IV+ rapids on it safely too. They are very safe for rivers, very mobile and tough to flip. Sometimes if there is a good area you want to fish rowing it to shore and fishing is a great choice. They are also good for small lakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts