Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a pontoon boat this year and adding a troling motor, for a quality but not too pricy set up how much am i looking at for it all and where is a good place to buy a toon. thanks iCiC

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I bought mine at the old Gart Bros. store (before name change). WaterSkeeter. Love it! Price was $398, on sale for $240, minus 25% off coupon, minus $100 dollar gift certificate.
240-60, =180, - 100, ..=$80.00. 8) Look around and compare. Deals are out there, just gotta have patience.
I still am part of the oars/flippers crowd. Gets me where I want to with the oars, and the flippers keep me in one spot for jigging. Someday may add a trolling motor. (not! ;D)

Pic taken on the shore of Loch Lomond, one of my favorite 'toon/mackinaw lakes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Saw one at Sams Club (if you're a member, otherwise, $35 I think to join). $299. Long, has a cage on the back and a motor mount. Lots of extra pockets, etc. I got one from there last year when they went down to about $200 at the end of the season. Haven't gotten it out yet, but it looks real nice. As for motor, I'm looking to get one too. Price seems to be about $100, give or take $10 for a 30 thrust which most people are saying is good enough. It's about the lowest power one you can find at any of the stores. There's also a rebate on them right now, about $20. you need a battery, which I'm still trying to figure out what will work best.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Seriously...Just go to Walmart and pick up an Everstart. I drain mine competely all the time and I haven't had any problems. Going on five years on that battery. Just be sure to recharge it as soon as you get home. They also have a good warranty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Greetings. I am interested in these one man pontoons, and I was just wondering about safety. I know the most important thing is plain old common sense and good judgement. How well do they do handle in windy conditions, how well do they handle in waves, and any tendency to tip? What are some safety issues a novice should be aware of? Thanks for any comments and advice.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
On lakes, the flatter the pontoons set, the less likely you'll be blown around. As far as safety, I have been out in major white caps, waves where full size boats have gone in and never once have I felt as though I would tip over. They are very stable. You just bob like a cork. I use an electric motor and as long as you have battery power you can fish in almost any conditions.. If rowing, extreme wind will make it more difficult, but you can still make headway. With normal fishing conditions rowing is fine. They are very safe boats....

·
Registered
433 Posts
a friend of mine and i are looking into seaeagle.com they have a variety of inflatables, boats that fit into your trunk, etc. i'd rather have a bass-rocket, but you have to start somewhere, i suppose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts