Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I thought I would sit down for a minute with my son and build a top water popper. To start you need a hard wood dowell(spelling bee champ) some hobby paint, a pocket knife, a hacksaw, sand paper, some screw with eye lets on they end of them, some o-rings, and a couple of treble hooks.

Then decide how long you want your lure and cut the dowell with your hack saw.

from here its just your section of wood and pocket knife. Carve which ever body style you prefer....Im going to be making a popper !!

Now with your pocket knife hollow out the center of one side to acheive your pop when you bring the lure through the water.
(its alot easier with a drill and bit but we are gonna assume you don't have that)

[img]
[img]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/407/popper0063fo.jpg

Now to smooth out the surface before adding paint you need to sand the whole lure including the inside of your "popping hole"

The next step is adding your eyelets. its alot easier when you use a pair of good pliers. One in your popping hole and two along the bottom side of the body.
[img]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3914/popper0090ab.jpg

Now add paint ...I'm going to be using a patern I call 2nd grade frog..ahahahahah

[img]
[img]

Now add O-rings and treble hooks and your ready for the water. May not look to hot but it works and catching fish on something you made with your own hands is great. I was going to get a little more detail but ran out of time. Hope this helps a couple of you when you get bored.

[img]

Sorry about the picture quality guys hopefully you still get the idea. Have Fun!!!!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im not sure why all the pictures didnt show.

·
Registered
131 Posts
F.G.--I think that is awesome!

1st--Spending the quality time with your son is without a doubt the BEST and doing it with fishing in mind is really cool!

2nd--2nd grade frog color will most likely catch a lot of fish! This is a bit off topic but, I have got away from all of the flashy holographic lures on the market and primarly fish old standard colors. The colors that lure companies call frog or clown nowdays are totally different than frog and clown used to be about 20 years ago. One of the lures I use has gone back to basics with their colors and they produce many more fish for me than the flashy stuff. I grew up in Texas on Toledo Bend Res.. There was an old man next to us named Mr. Harper. He would sit down after our every Sunday fish fry and teach me how to carve lures. Most of them were poppers and they caught more fish than the ones we bought from the store! This is one of my best childhood memories as well as some of my most prized possessions still to this day!---GOOD JOB BRO!!!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
FG,

I always love your posts because you take great pictures of huge fish. These are blurry, and if it is typical of your usual photography, it confirms what I have always believe about your fish pictures----they are forgeries made in Photoshop! :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, great job with the lures. I used to check out every book on fishing I could when I was a little kid. As an 8 year old, I had zero money to buy lures and a lot of those old books had info on how to make your own lures like the one you show here. I had great fun making them and I remember the thrill I had catching a little bluegill with a royal coachmen tied from feathers from a pillow and some red and black thread. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have always wanted to build lures and never have. Question about the eyelets. Is that all it takes? Do you worry about the fish pulling them out??

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
McFish said:
Question about the eyelets. Is that all it takes? Do you worry about the fish pulling them out??
You could always add a dab of glue if this was a concern.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Regarding the eyelets...

Short answer is that a fish can not pull out the eyelets unless it is an exceptionally large critter, or the connection is stripped.  If it is a concern glue can be added to further strengthen the bond.

Something that a fish can do is unscrew the assembly.  I have had this happen several times before with jitterbugs.  Luckily each occurrence was while landing the fish...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well just so you know you started something evil in me
now im trying to make a few lures

so here i sit carving on wood thanks ;D

do you make any other lures or just poppers fg

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea fishingkats. I make my own spinners and tie my owns flies.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nothin' like catching fish on something you made!!! good luck with your lure.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
fg do you seal the wood with anything or just use the paint and that kinda does the job

just need a few tips ;D

i busted butt and got mine done

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
seal it up and its ready for the water. Any kind of sealant should work fine. I used some sealant thats in a spray can that I've had for years.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well when my boy is done painting him i will spray him
and take one more pic and when i get the pics done i will show you what the lure looks like
its kinda cool dont think or know if it will catch anything with it but will look cool in my tackle bag

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
awesome!!! I can't wait to see the pic's...They work. I remeber the first one I ever made I started to lose confidence using it...then when I was lifting out of the water by some cattails...BAM!!! a 14 inch largemouth. I was 13 or so and begged my parents to go get me all the things I needed to make my own topwater and they finally did, and it paid off! It was in an old issue of bassin' like 12 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts