Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went ice fishing for the first time in my life last night. Went to crack with another forum member and got skunked. Fished from 4-7 and had to leave. For some reason ice fishing has never sounded that appealing to me until the last couple years seeing posts on here. Something about being on a frozen lake and fishing singular spots vs open water and covering ground. I figured that I should start trying to make the best out of this godforsaken season they call winter though. I will definitely go out again. The sounds the ice was making weren't exactly the most comforting sounds... I will probably opt to go in the daytime next time :cool:

Hurry up spring!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
The sounds the ice was making weren't exactly the most comforting sounds...
bobys that sound is the cold growing more ice...its a good thing...and I agree come on spring!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
WTG bobys. Popping ice can make your ars pucker the first few times out for sure. But obviously you had enough of a good time that you're going again.

Ice sucks. Come on spring!
It's not my favorite thing to do either, but I can only fish the Arkansas so many times this time of the year before the crowds get to me. So, its better than not fishing!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went for the first time too about 3 weeks ago. I loved it but I dressed real warm so wasn't surprised for what I was in for. I didn't catch a thing but a guy I went with caught a 16'' rainbow so that made the trip well worth it.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Crack is brutal again. Its so funny when a noob freaks on an ice earthquake. You'll know it when you feel it!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I love the pinging and ponging, but one time I was in SD when a massive heave formed about 80 yards from me. I've never moved so fast in my entire life. I thought North Korea finally followed up on their threats!

·
Registered
936 Posts
My experience was similar, but when the sheet broke it was about 18"s thick. Like pressure ridges do, one sheet slid up the other and the noise and rumbling it made was like a massive explosion.

I've been on the lake when heaves form, but never that close.

That same year my parents went in a heave that had formed that day, when they were getting off the lake. They got turned around in the dark and thought the heave was an island that we had been crossing. Luckily, we were able to find them in the darkness about 3 miles away before they froze. It was a scary ordeal.

Pressure ridges are not something to mess with.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crack is brutal again. Its so funny when a noob freaks on an ice earthquake. You'll know it when you feel it!
lmao I was sitting in the hut alone while the guy I was fishing with was over by the tower trying a hole. I don't think it was the earthquake your talking about, but it was a pretty consistent sound for about 20 seconds and then during that sound the ice beneath me was making a different (cracking like...) sound and it scared the crap out of me. For some reason I jumped out of the hut like being out of it was going to make me any more safe :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts