Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use the Portable Buddy? I was a little nervous about buying one after the recall last year but I just visited their site and the portable was not part of the recall. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a Mr. Heater infered and it works O.K., wish I had the new type with the blower, I also have an old Coleman, it has a rose bud, I can't remember the model #, Coleman quit making them. It is the best heater I have had, figures when something works they ditch it and make something that doesn't.
I have a friend with the Mr. Heater that has the blower he took it elk hunting and says it works great.

B

·
0 Posts
You can find the old colman focus heaters on ebay, they are great heaters but have no saftey stuff, I imagine that is why they are no longer made, they demand a steep price since allot of guys want them. I use the buddy heater and it cooks me out of my otter medium cabin, lo ox shutoff and tipover protection, good investment...colman cat heater are poj....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bobco, I think I am going to get one for my Fish Trap Guide...My friend and I got the Trap Link so we can connect the Guides together.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i bought one of the big buddy heaters with the blowers last year and it sucked, i returned it, they never officially came out and said there was a recall either, i went on their web site after they had been pulled out of all local stores and they replied to my e mail that they had no knowledge of a recall(ya right).. i bought another one this year thinking they had it fixed--not--- still doesnt work worth a crap, if you never go above 5000 ft it should work fine. i think that there is some kind of defect because up at 8100 ft mine worked fine the first day then after that the pilot would start to shut off, even if the door to the shelter was open. i'm gonna return this piece also. i'm pretty dissapointed cause when this thing works right it just plain kicks a$$ but allways seems to cut out when you need it the most,when it starts getting cold...why would it work in the mountains one day and not the next????

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jamie:

Is there a major difference between the portable and the big Buddy?

·
Registered
295 Posts
The best price I saw on a portable buddy was 69.99 @ Gander Mtn in Thornton, Bass pros and Sportsmans wanted 79.99. Hope this helps someone. This was on 12-8.

·
Registered
863 Posts
me and a buddy got a portable buddy heater last yr and man it kicks butt for us i love the thing keeps us real warm almost to warm at times i love the thing its perfect... just my opinion tho

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
lucky7 said:
Jamie:

Is there a major difference between the portable and the big Buddy? 
i think that the big buddy just has the fan and 2 propane tanks, also has a higher setting. my partner bought one of the portable buddies after he had a problem with his big buddiy last year and he had a problem with his portable buddiy doing the same thing at altitude, until he got mad and threw it out on the ice, then it has seemed to actually work after that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If this is the one I'm thinking of, somebody told me last year that they don't work in high elevation.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Reg said:
If this is the one I'm thinking of, somebody told me last year that they don't work in high elevation.
I've used both buddy heaters and coleman heaters in high elevations, they might not be as efficient but they still work great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you read the box that these heaters come in, it says not recommended for use at elevations above 7000 feet. Now I have the Big Buddy, and have used it up to 10,000 feet. Mine would work fine on the low and medium heat settings, but not on high for more than 5 minutes. Must be something with the low oxygen safety shutoff. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i definetely read the box, but still don't understand why it worked good for one day then not the next. the one i had last year worked the same way..

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i also haven't had a problem with any of my coleman heaters or my old buddy heater, my big buddy pilot goes out on all settings after a while.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i definetely read the box, but still don't understand why it worked good for one day then not the next. the one i had last year worked the same way..
The newer heaters have ODS sensors on them (oxygen depletion sensor) which causes them to shut off, this is a safety feature to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. I am willing to bet this is what causing your heater to shut off at higher altitudes due to the lack of oxygen already.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
my old heater has the shut off sensor also, always seems to work, we even put the big buddy outside for oxygen purposes and the pilot would still go out on the low or high setting. i actually thought about having some one with some propane experience modify it so it will work up in the hills, as when it does work it kicks a$$.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Decided to see if I could research this since you said you use it outside and still shuts off.
Mr. Heater has a good FAQ on their site I found: http://www.mrheater.com/faq.asp?id=23
What happens is the molecular structure of the air at higher altitudes may cause the air-flow in the pilot to increase and blow the pilot flame off the thermocouple, causing the heater to automatically shut-off. Also, if you have a change in weather and the barometric pressure drops, this could also cause the heater to shut down prematurely.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. It appears the buddy is not the answer sense I fish almost exlusivley above 7K ft. Is there a safe heater outer there?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts