Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electric downriggers that make the fish bite?

"The Digi-Troll IV HS incorporates Cannon’s Positive Ion Control (PIC) technology. PIC is based on the fact that when the metal components of a boat – such as the motor and downrigger cable – contact the water, they create a steady but unpredictable electrical charge in the water. The strength and type of charge varies greatly depending on the different types of metals contacting the water and the mineral content or conductivity of the water. Since fish are attracted by a slight positive charge and repelled by a strong positive or a negative charge, generating and controlling the correct charge can be critical to the success of your fishing. Only Cannon electric downriggers send a slight constant positive charge down the cable to attract fish to your bait or lure."

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I guess if you troll and don't have a Cannon now you have another excuse when you don't catch anything. :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not a troller at heart, but if want to consistently get customers to catch fish during the dog days of summer at Dillon i'm going to have to become one. ive gotten started with an older hand crank cannon, and i think the whole process of running downriggers sucks.
I'm looking at getting two electrics to rig on my 22 foot pontoon. any info suggestions and reviews of electric riggers would be appreciated. I am going to fabricate some pedestal type mounts, then I am looking to have a professional wire them to my battery and sync them with my sonar unit. If anybody knows who can do this, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Im not a troller at heart, but if want to consistently get customers to catch fish during the dog days of summer at Dillon i'm going to have to become one. ive gotten started with an older hand crank cannon, and i think the whole process of running downriggers sucks.
I'm looking at getting two electrics to rig on my 22 foot pontoon. any info suggestions and reviews of electric riggers would be appreciated. I am going to fabricate some pedestal type mounts, then I am looking to have a professional wire them to my battery and sync them with my sonar unit. If anybody knows who can do this, please let me know. Thanks.
MathGeek (MIT Engineer)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Manuals work fine if your doing a structure-less lake, but it sure sucks ass when you hit a rise or hump and the whole mess gets caught up, so the electric way with an interface to your sonar is a wise idea Fordo.

Bottom track is the feature Cannon has to keep you a preset distance off the bottom.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
i like the Cannon mag 10s that I use in AK The auto up is a great feature.
Back in the 90s I had the top of the line bottom track feature that worked great for following bottom contours that I let go with the boat when I sold it.
Never replaced them, since I don't troll for Lake Trout anymore theres not a need for bottom tracking.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've fished with enough guides running down riggers over the years that we worked hard to avoid them when developing our precision trolling techniques which have tended to out catch other boats running downriggers. If you don't need to go deeper than 30-40 feet, we have found a combination of diving planers and copper line (not on the same rod) can do very well once you learn to associate line out (line counter reels) with running depth and used the electronics to tell you how deep to run the lures. The horizontal spread allowed by this approach puts most of the lures out of the wake and shadow of the boat and also allows trying more combinations of depths, lures, and colors to figure out quickly what is working that day. When the wind is not blowing and the boat tracks straight, we could fish 8 rods at a time. On windier days, we only fish six. Of course, there are some tricks needed to land fish without getting them all tangled. I think I may still have the copper line we took off to respool those reels for bull reds and sharks in Louisiana. PM me an address and I'll ship it to you if you want.

I'm planning a longer post to explain in more detail once I have a chance to write it up.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've fished with enough guides running down riggers over the years that we worked hard to avoid them when developing our precision trolling techniques which have tended to out catch other boats running downriggers. If you don't need to go deeper than 30-40 feet, we have found a combination of diving planers and copper line (not on the same rod) can do very well once you learn to associate line out (line counter reels) with running depth and used the electronics to tell you how deep to run the lures. The horizontal spread allowed by this approach puts most of the lures out of the wake and shadow of the boat and also allows trying more combinations of depths, lures, and colors to figure out quickly what is working that day. When the wind is not blowing and the boat tracks straight, we could fish 8 rods at a time. On windier days, we only fish six. Of course, there are some tricks needed to land fish without getting them all tangled. I think I may still have the copper line we took off to respool those reels for bull reds and sharks in Louisiana. PM me an address and I'll ship it to you if you want.

I'm planning a longer post to explain in more detail once I have a chance to write it up.
Your methods would be nothing but a big cluserf#!ck for my purposes. My intention is to keep it clean and simple. This has been a key to my success( i do not pray to God to give us fish, i only pray for safety and to say thank you for the day).I cater to families with kids., and 8 out of 10 of my customers are beginners. I must put the ego aside and do what it takes to get the rod to bend. Even if we have to fish Gulp salmon eggs for stockers all day.

With electric riggers, I can balance my time between rigging tackle and watching over the people on my boat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your methods would be nothing but a big cluserf#!ck for my purposes. My intention is to keep it clean and simple. This has been a key to my success( i do not pray to God to give us fish, i only pray for safety and to say thank you for the day).I cater to families with kids., and 8 out of 10 of my customers are beginners. I must put the ego aside and do what it takes to get the rod to bend. Even if we have to fish Gulp salmon eggs for stockers all day.

With electric riggers, I can balance my time between rigging tackle and watching over the people on my boat.
I actually learned a lot of our methods from a guide on Lake Erie who catered to children and did a great job with my own young children. In addition to the six diving planers in the back of the boat, he ran six more lures off side planers from the middle of the boat.

I've run my methods with multiple children under 12 their first time fishing. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian, or in this case, the chief. Boy does the rod bend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
!2 lines out? If you get a decent fish how can you possibly keep it from crossing lines and making a total mess of things? Curious how you can possibly do that.

I must admit, I gave up trolling a long long time ago-I know it has its place (walleye) but it took alot of the fun out of it for me.
Our experience was fish got in the prop much more often than the other lines. Most trout were under 3 lbs, so it's not too hard, but the answer depends somewhat on the initial configuration. With a big pike or lake trout, the others in the boat need to reel in the other rods quickly, starting with the rods on the same side of the boat. This is always true with a big fish on and 6 lines out, even fishing for redfish with bait in the Gulf or muskies in the mid-west or stripers.

But with the trout, keeping the boat in motion is important. Another key point in the set up is having the rearmost rods in a rod holder that can be adjusted straight up so the line is 7-9 ft above the water at the boat and does not reach the water until 30 ft or so behind the boat. Most of the time, the middle and front rods don't have enough line out to get back to them (or that line is recovered quickly on a fish under 3 lbs.) The more involved subtleties that depend on configuration are keeping the front and middle lines on the same side from getting tangled. I'll touch upon these when I write up the blog. The front lines are furthest to the side, so most days they catch the most fish.

But odds are, a written description will only get you started and you'll need to practice with 4 rods to get the hang of some things before moving up to six and practice with six before moving up to eight.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I actually learned a lot of our methods from a guide on Lake Erie who catered to children and did a great job with my own young children. In addition to the six diving planers in the back of the boat, he ran six more lures off side planers from the middle of the boat.

I've run my methods with multiple children under 12 their first time fishing. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian, or in this case, the chief. Boy does the rod bend.
Fordo not troll 8 rods, keepum little indians happy....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Love those pics. Thanks for sharing. Great job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts