Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for this one. She was 32" long but so skinny and weak I thought she might die before I could get her back in. She almost swallowed a #12 Purple/Ghost x-rap.

It has been a tough spring for me. Lots of small eye's and bass but the big girls have been pretty much non existent?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Definitely looks worn out and thin. But, a 32" skinny eye is still better than a stick in the eye or a small slimer.

Glad to see you found one Neal. I'm still searching.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Nice catch Neal!

Is it early for them to be done spawning already?
Not really. Usually these past couple days and the next couple days are the biggest number days for spawning fish the CPW told me, but they vary every year and there are some groups of fish that were done spawning a over a week ago. Will probably have fishing spawning a couple weeks from now too, depends on the body of water and the weather really

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really. Usually these past couple days and the next couple days are the biggest number days for spawning fish the CPW told me, but they vary every year and there are some groups of fish that were done spawning a over a week ago. Will probably have fishing spawning a couple weeks from now too, depends on the body of water and the weather really
I heard the spawn collecting is going well today at Chatfield. This has been a really early and up and down spring. I am so sick of winter I could scream!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
GOOD job Neal !!
Hope its a portent of things to come...
This CRAP weather has Me all agitated, too...
Heard good things @ Chatty Spawn, too.... :smile:

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
nice fish Neal, i'm glad my boat is in the shop now that the weather is bad. but I will be ready to refind my spots for the up coming tourneys. are you fishing the one here on 5/21?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Spawn was decent at Cherry Creek yesterday - a group from CSU helped them make a batch of saugeyes. Nice fish Neal! I haven't caught any big girls this year but others have - I think there's some truth to the saying "I suck at this sport!"

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice fish Neal, i'm glad my boat is in the shop now that the weather is bad. but I will be ready to refind my spots for the up coming tourneys. are you fishing the one here on 5/21?
Mine has been at Canyon marine for almost a month now:( I pick it up on Tuesday and I am sure I will see you on PLO soon. I am fishing all four tournaments.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Good job Neal...I havent been out...was gonna get out last nite prior to todays weather front but work and being on call killed my plans...maybe Monday night...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spawn was decent at Cherry Creek yesterday - a group from CSU helped them make a batch of saugeyes. Nice fish Neal! I haven't caught any big girls this year but others have - I think there's some truth to the saying "I suck at this sport!"
You hardly suck!!! Actually Saugeye fishing down here has been much better than the walleye fishing. I have seen two pushing the 10 lb mark:eek: That record may not last much longer!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Yeah if Doc sucks there isnt much hope for the rest of us...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Mine has been at Canyon marine for almost a month now:( I pick it up on Tuesday and I am sure I will see you on PLO soon. I am fishing all four tournaments.
I should get my boat back from canon marine near the 1st of the month, I am only fishing Nates on the 21st. I can't do those long days in the boat when you have to fish several long days. these one day tourneys work for me as long as they are on my home waters or waters I know well. I sure wish he would have a tourney down on ute in NM. awesome eye fishing there but it is hard to fish.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The chatty spawn going well pretty much disproves the theory that they lost a ton of the spawning class fish last year. I know CPW was worried about that. Good news!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The chatty spawn going well pretty much disproves the theory that they lost a ton of the spawning class fish last year. I know CPW was worried about that. Good news!
There were a ton of fish up in the wood and flooded beach area's before they started really dumping the water. Hopefully that saved a lot of fish from going thru the tubes. In 2007 the opened the gates in mid March and really hurt the lake. Fishing in the river was ridiculous!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Neal, do you think it's possible this fish never had eggs to begin with? Over the years, I have caught some skinny fish late and early in the year. I suspect some of them are in such poor condition that they no longer develop eggs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts