Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to CO. I am living in the Lafayette area. I moved here from Missouri and have spent the last 20 years chasing BIG cats. By big I mean 40-130 lbs. Are there any bodies of water that support a healthy population of big cats here?
I realize that coming from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, that I am not going to find the numbers of large fish that I am use to, but I know there has to be some reservoirs that hold good populations of bigger fish.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to begin my hunt, and what kind of fish the water is known to hold?
I really appreciate any advice.

Chris

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not a cat guy but you are in trouble looking for giants here. Check cpw website and use search function here for cat waters. Might be best to branch out, fish for other species that Colorado has to offer. You've been ruined on giants that simply don't exist here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Macman, I hear you, but I realize the fish I referenced simply aren't available in numbers if at all here. However, I know there has to be some 20's and 30's holed up in some of these reservoirs. I was just hoping to get a little guidance on where to possibly begin to look.
I do branch out, as I love to fish for everything.
I am looking forward to chasing some Walleye and Pike and have been tearing up the Rainbows and Browns in the local creeks.
Ruined? Never. Spoiled, probably.
LOL

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Macman, I hear you, but I realize the fish I referenced simply aren't available in numbers if at all here. However, I know there has to be some 20's and 30's holed up in some of these reservoirs. I was just hoping to get a little guidance on where to possibly begin to look.
I do branch out, as I love to fish for everything.
I am looking forward to chasing some Walleye and Pike and have been tearing up the Rainbows and Browns in the local creeks.
Ruined? Never. Spoiled, probably.
LOL
Check the lakes in the lower Arkansas river valley. Also Nebraska is 3 hours away and there's 2 lakes that hold fat girl catfish not far from the state line of CO.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That's about the best answer you're likely to get. Like you said they aren't here like that. Don't expect guys that do know to hand over the intel so freely

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Catfishing here is tough, man. I don't care about telling him where to go. There's like a handful of guys dedicated to catfish. They know the REAL spots. But all of those lakes I listed hold big cats, just good luck getting them to bite. I hope he catches some...maybe he'll tell me how it works? >:D

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
pueblo has cats to 30 lbs and a few are bigger, I have caught cats to 24 lbs but I don't target cats all of mine have been caught fishing for walleyes. I did slip my net under a 31 lb. pounder for another guy that didn't have a big enough net. I have had a few on that towed the boat for several hundred yards before my small hook pulled out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts