Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little late - but hit the Poudre (upper canyon - special reg) up on a weekday last week.

Prolly weather dependent (65+), but what an afternoon! 10+ landed and scored my largest Bow on the river.

Small PMDs where the ticket for the Bow's holding in some of the pools. Strikes every other cast or so. Olive / black streamers got a lot of attention from the Browns.

Also watched a number of Browns spawning in a shallow gravel area - quite a sight. And no - didn't bother them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a killer day on the Poudre last Monday. Warm, sunny, calm and got close to 20 in a couple hrs. They were all over a orange stimi with a small dropper. Got equal numbers on both. It was great, only fished about a 50yrd stretch, but I fished hard and it paid off. I have a spot there that's always good for a dozen or so, but this was one of those days. Haven't been back since it got cold, but I'll go sometime again next week. Probably just go with a double nymph rig....not as cool but oh well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
drummin1 said:
Haven't been back since it got cold, but I'll go sometime again next week.
Just got back from there and unless it warms up between now and then, I wouldn't bother. The water is extremely low, there's ice all along the banks any where between a foot and 3 feet out, with lots of ice drifting in the running water. Drove up to just about Co Rd 69 before turning around.

Big difference from what it was just a couple weeks ago where I had the same results as you did with a stimi, I wish I could have went last weekend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the update...I know, I was going to go the day before the storm hit and couldn't get out. Bummer. Looks like we may get a warm-up for next weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bo Duke said:
Ol Blu said:
Also watched a number of Browns spawning in a shallow gravel area - quite a sight. And no - didn't bother them.
This.

Am I missing something? "This"?

Funny though - I hunt waterfowl, so I've been waiting for the cold. Now the fishing is tough - hit the Big T for a couple hours today and had to work pretty hard for a dink...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fished the Poudre for a couple hours yesterday. As expected it was slower, but once I figured things out and went deep in the holes, I managed a few nice bows. I found I had to slow down and really fish each spot hard, they are still in there. There was little to no ice up to Poudre Park.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts