Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Last summer I float tubed Watson Lake figuring on getting a fishing fix catching stockers. I was pleasantly surprised by catching a 23" brown there with a sinking flyline and a chartreuse/white clouser minnow. It was on the west side of the island in the morning. Being that my luck prior (& after) that fish was poor, I don't know if you want to try that. The smallmouth fishing can at times be decent - some up to about 17". It's my understanding that the DOW is no longer stocking trout in Watson - opting to produce more of a cool/warm water fishery. One of my sons last early spring, while there was still floating ice, caught some nice rainbows on the south end dam area. These were 16-18" on primarily black wooly buggers. Good luck with your endeavors. Also, try 3" motor oil & pumpkinseed colored tube jigs for the smallmouth. You might also get a walleye.

G

·
I've yet to get up there and fish watson....the d.o.w. did quit stocking trout in there....call 303 291 7536 for the latest report(sept. hahahahah) quite a few holdover trout from seasons past are in there.

· Registered
935 Posts
John said:
Last summer I float tubed Watson Lake figuring on getting a fishing fix catching stockers.  I was pleasantly surprised by catching a 23" brown there with a sinking flyline and a chartreuse/white clouser minnow.  It was on the west side of the island in the morning.  Being that my luck prior (& after) that fish was poor, I don't know if you want to try that.  The smallmouth fishing can at times be decent - some up to about 17".   It's my understanding that the DOW is no longer stocking trout in Watson - opting to produce more of a cool/warm water fishery.  One of my sons last early spring, while there was still floating ice, caught some nice rainbows on the south end dam area.  These were 16-18" on primarily black wooly buggers.  Good luck with your endeavors.  Also, try 3" motor oil & pumpkinseed colored tube jigs for the smallmouth.  You might also get a walleye.
I have excellent luck there in the Spring fishing 2" white, chartreuse, or pumpkin colored tube jigs real slow on the bottom, or from the fishing dock (casting stright out toward the island). I have caught lots of smallmouth, most modest in size, but a few in the 3-4 lb range. I've heard about the walleye there, but haven't caught one.

G

·
the river is flowing like a big dog...I fished it this weekend and couldnt believe how fast it was running...Caught a pretty nice one on a pot of gold spoon in gold

· Registered
213 Posts
Agreed, the river is flowing VERY fast. Tried there this afternoon/evening near College, friend had a few bites on some worms but I wasn't getting anything on any spinners. Most of the spots we usually fish were flowing really quick and it was making it very difficult to fish but I want to continue trying since it seems with the water this high it could be good fishing for the bigger guys.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.