Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Poudre Browns 10/21/2005

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Derajaman 
#1 ·
Fished the poudre (Ft. Collins) from about 7:30 am to 11:00 this morning.  No bites until I switched to fishing the smallest spinner I owned.

Caught 4 fish...lost two....need to use a net but trebles are a pain to get out of nets!!!!

Used a in-line spinner with bronze blade....cast into agitated water and reeled in like mad to get the blade to spin...

All were small but they were still fun....I primarily fish for bass and so when I decide to fish the river and actually catch a few im happy.....pretty fish these trout...

Pondfisher

See less See more
#10 ·
Re: Poudre Browns

Ok........From the Shields bridge you will need to walk 50 paces on the northern side of the Poudre river.  Turn right and you should be facing a hill littered with rocks and mud.  Walk 10 paces down this hill and proptly fall on your arse scaring any fish for 50 yards in both directions.  Now this is important....Quickly get up and look around bewildered and make sure no walkers, runners, and bird watchers saw your graceful spill. 

Ok...now you will need to fish for 1 to 2 hours making sure you use every lure in your tackle box that will not...I repeat..will NOT catch fish.  Oh yeah..dont forget to get your lures snagged in the tree behind you....by not doing so you will not catch the "monsters" pictures above.  AFter that walk 10 paces back up the hill and continue down the path for 60 paces heading East.  Mind the hardend pile of dog poo that some lazy dog owner decided to not pick up.  6 paces south will again put you infront of the river and begin casting a 0 size mepps spinner with bronze blade into the river until you catch fish....rinse and repeat...

Pondfisher

#14 ·

I am sure glad you are all taking John's complaints to heart. I foresee a new era of helpful cooperation on this forum; you all deserve a great big hug.

I see I better start packing the GPS unit in my tackle box, but it's only good to +/- 12 ft., sure hope that's good enough...

#17 ·

You throwing anything besides that spinner? Pretty fish no matter what size they are.

#18 ·

Nope.....I played with small jigs and Berkely trout craws but the tiny spinners have been giving me the most action. I am really itching to learn how to fly fish...playing with these fish on a light rod is probably really fun!!
I am really pleased with these trout...they are not monsters but they are beautiful fish....I primarily fish for bass and while they can and do put up a bigger fight then these smaller trout...they are nowhere near as pretty....

So far all Ive caught are browns.  Wearing polarized sunglasses I can see largeer rainbows swimming around but no luck with them yet.....

G
#19 ·
I'm a bass fisherman and some of the bigger trout that I've caught fight like demons. When they get over that 20 inch mark they fight alot harder...with long runs and even rolls not to mention the acrobatic leaps they make. I love bass fishing, but in colorado your missing out if you don't target some of those big trout in the state.

#22 ·
Last summer I float tubed Watson Lake figuring on getting a fishing fix catching stockers. I was pleasantly surprised by catching a 23" brown there with a sinking flyline and a chartreuse/white clouser minnow. It was on the west side of the island in the morning. Being that my luck prior (& after) that fish was poor, I don't know if you want to try that. The smallmouth fishing can at times be decent - some up to about 17". It's my understanding that the DOW is no longer stocking trout in Watson - opting to produce more of a cool/warm water fishery. One of my sons last early spring, while there was still floating ice, caught some nice rainbows on the south end dam area. These were 16-18" on primarily black wooly buggers. Good luck with your endeavors. Also, try 3" motor oil & pumpkinseed colored tube jigs for the smallmouth. You might also get a walleye.

#25 ·
John said:
Last summer I float tubed Watson Lake figuring on getting a fishing fix catching stockers.  I was pleasantly surprised by catching a 23" brown there with a sinking flyline and a chartreuse/white clouser minnow.  It was on the west side of the island in the morning.  Being that my luck prior (& after) that fish was poor, I don't know if you want to try that.  The smallmouth fishing can at times be decent - some up to about 17".   It's my understanding that the DOW is no longer stocking trout in Watson - opting to produce more of a cool/warm water fishery.  One of my sons last early spring, while there was still floating ice, caught some nice rainbows on the south end dam area.  These were 16-18" on primarily black wooly buggers.  Good luck with your endeavors.  Also, try 3" motor oil & pumpkinseed colored tube jigs for the smallmouth.  You might also get a walleye.
I have excellent luck there in the Spring fishing 2" white, chartreuse, or pumpkin colored tube jigs real slow on the bottom, or from the fishing dock (casting stright out toward the island). I have caught lots of smallmouth, most modest in size, but a few in the 3-4 lb range. I've heard about the walleye there, but haven't caught one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.