Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to drive up the canyon Friday and fish for trout. Does anyone have any tips or reccomendations? I do not fly fish (yet) and I mainly use small spinners and spoons. Anyone been up there recently?

Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was up there last week. the river is very low and slow. I would bet that spinfishing with small spoons and spinners would be good in some of the deeper holes and around large boulders. Try around the gateway park area or anywhere in the lower canyon where you can find a deep spot.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I want to try to hit the canyon sometime to see how the fishing is as well. I've only fished the poudre in town with only one fish every caught which was yesterday. Farmer Ted, have you had any luck with the poudre here in town?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yah, Martinez park is where I've been fishing in town. I got the rainbow there yesterday thats in the reports section. But I mean there are fish all over in there but just don't go for anything so I didn't know if there were other sections of the river in town anyone was having luck at.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry ..just read your report...nice fish!!!! If the fish are biting so close to home I might save the gas and just fish that area on Friday!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I dunno, cause the action in town isn't good either lol. At least it hasn't been for us, scorpian was over there the other day too and didn't get anything either. I'm thinking of trying worms over there if I get a chance since it seems like trout always love worms :p Dunno if the bows in there would go for powerbait or if the browns would go after anything besides worms, maybe even corn.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've never fished the poudre in town. The river has been my fly fishing instructor this summer and I have only fished it from the dam at the canyon mouth up to gateway and also the north fork a bit. I also went up to Indian meadows a couple times. I have had great luck in the lower canyon with rainbows and browns from 8-14 inches. I always catch at least a few and some days catch many more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
well if you want to try the poudre here in town let me know how you do and if you have any tips to catch them cause I'm open to anything at this point.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Derajaman said:
I dunno, cause the action in town isn't good either lol.  At least it hasn't been for us, scorpian was over there the other day too and didn't get anything either.  I'm thinking of trying worms over there if I get a chance since it seems like trout always love worms :p  Dunno if the bows in there would go for powerbait or if the browns would go after anything besides worms, maybe even corn.
Got a big 21" male rainbow yesterday! Seen many others but didn't catch anymore after that first one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fished area of Poudre under Shields....Trout all over the place...could not catch a single one. I tried wooly buggers....ants....mosquito patterns...gnats...they didnt want em. I tried to get an aggressive strike out of small spinners and spoons. I jiged Berkely trout craws at them....they seemed interested but not enough to hit them. Im gonna try again this afternoon.

Pondfisher (Maybe Ill stick to the ponds!!!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Let me know over post or PM when your headed over cause a friend and I are gonna try our luck again this afternoon. I'm determined to get something more then just one fish lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts