Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the DOW has been stocking the Poudre with bows in town this summer? I was out last Thursday and I think I caught about 95% bows. Used to be almost all browns. Could be that the bows finally were able to reproduce last year, but it seems weird. I'm not complaining because the fishing was great. Most of the fish seemed to be in that 10-12 inch stocker range. Decent colors though so maybe they've been in there a while. Couldn't find anything in the stocking reports.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Poudre getting stocked in Funky Town?

I am not sure if it is connected, but... I spend a good amount of time fishing downstream from the Narrows, and in years past caught 90% browns. This year though it seems to be about 60% Bows!

·
Registered
32 Posts

i caught some dencent color bows in poudre as well, SL told me they are in there for a while so color came out.

but mostly still browns. i guess stocked bow would not be as colorful as wild bows?

·
Registered
11,844 Posts

slowdown said:
ghosttale said:
i caught some dencent color bows in poudre as well, SL told me they are in there for a while so color came out.

but mostly still browns. i guess stocked bow would not be as colorful as wild bows?
Not necessarily. If the stocking was done in the spring, then by now the colors will come out. Ive fished tons of rivers that given a 8 mo to a year period the bows color up almost as bright as wild.
Yep, it doesn't take long for a stocker to start lookin like a native... Check out the girls in Boulder!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

matthewmiller24 said:
I wonder if it would be worth emailing Ken Kehnmeier, the DOW fisheries biologist for that region? [email protected].
I think I might Matt. Thanks. Haven't fished your fork in a while. Flow has been down. How was the trip to CO? Gonna post some pics?

·
Registered
259 Posts

The DOW moved all the browns a few miles above the narrows and put them downstream with the hopes of the narrows being a natural barrier. Then they stocked the Hofer (sp) strain of rainbow in the few miles above the narrows. I think they separated the fish to try give the bows a better chance establishing.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took Matt's advice and the DOW got back to me a few days later and this is what they said. I thought something was um "fishy". Hope this helps.

Ken Kehmeier forwarded this message along to me as I am the biologist responsible for the Poudre. I am happy to see that you have had some success with rainbows this year through town and feel that this has improved fishing this year. We did stock about 6000 5” rainbows from Lion’s Park to Martinez park this year in the spring to see what kind of survival and growth we might get in this section through town. We will also be assessing survival of these fish through the winter to see if this is something we want to continue in the future.
Whirling disease and temperature probably prevent any significant reproduction in this lower section, though we do have some experimental sections in the upper Poudre where we are attempting to reestablish wild rainbows in the river. Thanks for your interest in the river, this kind of input helps us make decisions on how to manage the river. Hopefully these guys can survive the low water in the winter and you will see some larger rainbows in the river next year. Good fishing,

Kurt

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder why they did not put them in the catch n release areas. These fish are getting wacked by bait fishermen. They are still pretty dumb and you see dead ones throught out the river. I like the idea of trying to get a rainbow fishery re-established. The Hofers are strong, tail dancers even in the 12 to 14" variety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts