Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm kinda happy and kinda mad about today. I got up at 7 this morning to get to the river by about 8. Fished until 10:15 and left so I could go to classes, then left my place again at about 4 to head over again to fish then left at 6:30. Out of a total of 4 and half to 5 hours I got ONE, lol. I was happy to get it but there were fish rising all over the place but I couldn't get them to hit anything I through at them. The fish as so skittish it seems like you walk within 20 feet of them and zoom, gone to another part of the river. I dunno if its just the flies I was using or I wasn't presenting them right since I'm new to fly fishing but either way I could not get them to hit. The one that I got was a 14" Rainbow which isn't bad, but I guess I thought I could get a few more then just that. The funny part too was I got him on my spinning reel using nothing but a fly since I couldn't cast more then about 8 feet because of all the trees and bushes around me. Here's a pic of the big guy.

Let me know if any of you have fished the poudre here in town lately and have had any luck. I would have to guess the fishing in the river will just be getting better as the fall goes on but I've never fished rivers too much before.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Were you over by Martinez Park? I went there today on my lunch break. I got several quick hits but no catches. All that I caught there today was a sucker fish on a crawler. The trout were hitting on my rainbow trout pattern Blade Dancer and my green, orange and yellow with black spots Kastmaster but the hits were very quick and I couldn't get a hookset. Haven't had any luck flyfishing so I don't even bring my fly rod anymore. I'm still new to flyfishing and I have hit the frustrating part with it. (Unless I'm playing with bluegills, but they hit just about anything!)

I

·
0 Posts
nice fish.
i fish the poudre usually once a week. i always fish up in the canyon, from century park (where the south fork comes in) all the way up to bliss/kinikinik. the river is really a low flow now and yes the fish are spooky. i like to fish down stream and do long extended drifts with a dry/dropper. work the banks and work the roily water, which provides cover for you. the fishing is really good, but you have to work for them.
keep trying, and use small flies - smaller as the fall wears on. you'll catch plenty if you spend the time. bwo's will soon be the ticket. also, seems the poudre is infamous for catching a few fish in a stretch then you need to move on they are spooky. good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah, this was at Martinez park, just a little ways up from the bridge. When I was over there this evening there were tons of trout rising all over the place near the bridge, but I couldn't get my fly out there far enough and I wasn't sure if a bubble/bobber and fly would scare them off. The one I want to get out of that stretch was this one (couldn't tell if it was a brown or a bow, pretty sure it was a brown cause of its size) but it must have been pushing 18" maybe even 20". I was walking along the bank and saw him just as I got about 6 to 8 ft away and he swam off towards the middle. Then about 5 min later I saw him again swimming up along the bank right up towards me to the spot he was originally, I tried not to move and to just let my fly down to the water and let it float past him but he spooked anyway and swam off again. GRRR!! I want to keep trying there but I guess I'll either need to get some waders or wear my boots I've got so I can get out into the water a little more to get at some of the fish since I can't get to them from the shore.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice fish what fly did you get him on?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice i like them terrestrials what other flies did you try? if they were feeding on the surface a lot there might have been a small hatch of something going off and they may have been keying on that but that fat hopper was just to tempting for that guy also sometimes when it looks like they are feeding on the surface they can be feeding just below the surface and a wet fly or emerger can be reel effective

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still so new on flies I dunno too much of a difference with them. This was a dry fly I was trying near the bridge when I saw them surfacing:

http://www.blueflycafe.com/products/5/401

not sure on size but from the end of the bend of the hook to the eye is a little under 1/2" and the colors were red belly, white top and tail, white hair on top at the eye and brown underneath and nothing hit it when it floated right over them. I couldn't tell what bugs they were feeding on that was driving them crazy. Anyone know of hatches on the poudre here in town?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
here's a little tid bit on that fly
Dark Cahill: The Dark Cahill is best in slow meadow-type streams. In faster currents, use a size 12. For quiet water and pools, drop down to a size 16. If fishing upstream and floating with the currents doesn't produce, try lightly jerking the fly just across the currents. It might resemble an emerging caddis.
from the "10 best flies for beginers"
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part27.html

where you able to see what they were feeding on you fly may have been to big try to fish with a similar sized fly my opinion is that size and then color are far more important that a perfect patern match for example a fly that is a perfect replica of the bugs the fish are feeding on but larger will get out fished by fly that is the same size as the bugs and similar in color most of the time

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yah, size might have definitely been my problem and the only thing smaller that I have then that is a black ant and its about 5/16" from the bend to the eye, would that be about the right size? would it be possible to use something that small on a bubble?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Derajaman said:
yah, size might have definitely been my problem and the only thing smaller that I have then that is a black ant and its about 5/16" from the bend to the eye, would that be about the right size?  would it be possible to use something that small on a bubble?
hard to say what the right size is with out seeing what the fish are feeding on but in general if it wasnt getting bit id keep going smaller till thing started to happen

you might want to pick a few flies (check out that site i linked above) and get a good selection of each like maybe from size 10/12 on down to size 16/18 or even smaller that site as some good recomendations and then when you get on the water you can pick the best fly that you got for the situation and then switch sizes till it getts exciting

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the wooly worms and buggers are usually a bigger fly and are fished wet near the bottom sometimes twitched along

what size leader or tippet where you using? you might try going a size or 2 smaller i rarely go heavyer than 6x and ussualy 7x and if i need to replace the tippet section i use 2# id rater get bit a bunch and maybe break off a few than only get a few bites cause the tippet is to large

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check your pm's, but I was using a 4x tapered leader and 4x tippit when I wast starting in the day, but when I was using that red and white dry fly I was shimming it with some 8lb test mono but the crazy part was that it would still float. The mono was only about 5 feet in length so much shorter then most leaders and tippits should be.

Next time I'm over there I'll try to video what the fish are doing as they feed so you can tell me if they are eating off the surface or if they are still eating underwater.

Btw, the fish today that got my hopper, I was casting it off shore no more then about 6 to 8 feet and letting it drift, but after a few casts it got water logged and would sink a tiny bit, it was about 2 to 6" below the surface when he ate it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishing hoppers wet can be the ticket at times

unfortunately unless you got an HD camcorder probly wont beable to tell but the vid would be cool and might help in other ways

about the fly floating remember regular nylon mono floats so it might have even helped it float but it may have also turned off the fish

id grab a short 6x leader and even trim it. and dont wory about them real long leaders till you get better at it i like to fish with 5' leaders and i dont go more than 7 1/2' too many hassels for me shure on some heavily pressured waters like the "hog pen at taylor river" them 10' 7x leaders real soar btu most of the time you can get by much shorter if you keep it light like the 6x or 7x sizes

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, I'll have to go grab a new leader tomorrow and get going again. Also some small flies to see if thats the ticket besides using the hopper again to see if thats what they are liking as well. I've also tried using spinners and floating minnows the other day. Only got a few fish to follow the spinner and almost had one take it but I got excited and pulled it too early before he fully had it in his mouth. I would have tried some spinners today but I just think they spook the fish too much and I can't seem to keep it suspended in the shallow water without craking it too quickly and they aren't liking it being jigged along the bottom. Trout might be stupid, but they are picky!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i fish some really small streams with spinners like small panthers and spinners with colorado style blades they work at slower speeds and dont sink as fast iv probably caught 10 stream trout for every 1 i got with a fly also grab a few "pistole pete" flies they are like a wooly worm/bugger with a shiny propeler in front kinda inbetween a fly and a spinner keep them moving so the propeller spins and at times they do the trick

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as in small what size? I think most of mine that I've used are 1/8oz. would you mean 1/16oz to 1/32oz ones?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think my small panthers are #4 not sure how heavy but probly 1/16th or less

i used to make my own "colorado" spinners from 2 small swivels 1 split ring and a small colorado blade just link the 2 swivels with the split ring and put the blade on the split ring and your done these are very light and work great in small streams and the blade spins at slow retrieve speeds use the small parts for best results

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went out again today. Didn't even get a bite during this warm overcast kind of day. I would think that the fish would be going crazy seeing it has cooled of a bit and it was overcast so the sun wouldn't be a problem. They were rising all over the place again but wouldn't strike anything. Went to Jax today to stock up and see if anyone knew what the fish were biting on. Got some suggestions and left with about 8 flies, a new leader, some slip floats, and some small swivels. That way I could try either fly rod or spinning with the flies in case I couldn't get what I was looking for with the fly rod. I don't think I could have gotten anything today on either lol. I tried the fly rod for a while but I just don't have the skills with that yet, I still have the problem of having the leader fall just in one spot instead of flinging out. Almost hooked myself in the face with the fly too, ended up hooking the collar of my shirt right under the chin. I did get small flies when I was getting them, ranging in size from no larger then 12 to as small as 18. I only tried 2 of the 8 I got today because I'm too persistant in thinking that I'm just not presenting the fly right for them to hit it compared to thinking it just might not be what they want. Could be both, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts