Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't ever really fished the Poudre River. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as places to head and the fish I can expect?

B

·
0 Posts
This time of year the pickins are going to be slim. Don't expect to catch what basshunter did. The water is very low and the fish are slowing down. In the steep walled canyon sections(most of the river) the ice should be starting to take over. Unless you're desperate, you should probably go elsewhere. A warm, windless day in the flats by the hatchery would be the rare exception. Cheesman Canyon and the "dream stream" on the South Platte, the Miracle Mile or Grey Reef on the North Platte, all being tailwaters, would be a much better choice. At least in terms of catching good fish. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I fish the lower poudre very often from the dam at the entrance of the canyon up to gateway park, and the north fork at gateway park. I have done very well with average sized browns and rainbows (8-15") in most areas of the river in this section.

I was up there last week and although I wasn't fly fishing, I had good luck with rapalas in some of the deeper pools for browns and rainbows. Pools near picnic rock and gateway park were fishable at the time (just starting to ice up) and large pods of browns were visible and catchable.

Hope this gives you some info at least.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea thanks for the tips. I think this next week is going to take me up to Grey Reef. We're doing thanksgiving at my grandparents house in Casper which works out fine for my cause! I'll let ya'll know how its fishing (but I can pretty much tell you right now its going to be as great as always)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Lower Poudre fishes well in the fall and winter.  I've fished up as Eggers - you definitely find fish in different places once the ice shelves form along the banks - places you don't see them the rest of the time.  Places that suck for most of the year, are sometimes great during winter.j

And although some people have an aversion to fishing so close to development, the browns and a few large rainbows light up at this time of year in the reaches that flow into Fort Collins. You can get into some nice fish near Lyon's park, and also in both directions from Shields road - and there's a nice bike path you can use to get up and downstream to pick your spots. Haven't fished it in a couple years, but the brown fishing in particular can be pretty fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts