Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the Poudre (Ft. Collins) and caught a fish i could not identify.  It was slender and trout like in the body.  Its coloring was that of a bass and did not resemble a brown or rainbow trout.  It had some small sharp looking teeth and its eyes were luminicent.  I think this might have been a walleye...is this possible?  I fish mainly bass and I am just starting to get into trout.  MY knowledge of fish other than sunfish, carp, and trout is pretty weak.....any ideas.

If it helps the fish bit a tiny jig and Berkely trout craw.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah alot like that....I didnt know you could catch those in the Poudre....thought the river down near ft collins was too warm..heck I didnt even think walleye could be caught in rivers...thought they were lake fish. Thanks for the info....first walleye or sauger! Those eyes freaked me out a bit...I thought..."Do fish get some kind of cataracts?"

Cool...

Pondfisher

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Walleye like cool water, though they can live in a wide variety of temperatures. They do quite well in rivers that have sufficient depth and flow.

How did one get in the Poudre? Hmmmm could be a lot of different ways. One may have been by a bucket biologist deciding he wanted walleye in the river. Someone may have kept some and just decided he did not want them and tossed them in the river. Someone may have dumped a bucket of minnows in the river when the were done fishing. Not everything you buy as a minnow is technically a minnow. I have found bass fry and fingerlings in my minnows before as well as other fish I don't know what they are but they sure did not look like minnows.

Dan

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, there are some walleye in the Poudre right now, along with some bass. They came out of Horsetooth. A buddy of mine has been catching walleyes in the Poudre for the last few weeks. I haven't fished the Poudre yet so I haven't caught any myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts