Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im ben i just joined this forum 5 min. ago but im from texas and i will be heading up to roosevelt national forest on a church backpacking trip, is there any sugjestions of what to use i will be there the middle of july
dries, nymps With or with out stike indictator, ect

thanks so much

B

·
0 Posts
Hello Ben,
All those things should work, with or without. Where exactly are you going?

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bill,
im going to roosevelt national forest thats about all i can tell u cause i dont have an itinerary of our hike till i get to the chruch camp so i dont know if i can though i would love to hit some of the small streams but anything trout water is going to be a blessing since i live in texas

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Given Roosevelt National Forest's vast size and different types of water its kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what flies you should bring....but you can get close. it will be mid summer, and the runoff flows should be down, so you can bet on some good dry fly action. id bring along some nymphs and some wooley buggers also, incase you manage to hit some high lakes.

heres a few patterns you might want:

Black Wooley Bugger, size 8 (all purpose trout streamer, especially for lakes...id bring a half dozen or more)
Ribbed Hare's ear, size 14-16 (all purpose nymphs for both lakes and rivers)
Olive scuds...another good lake patterns. sizes 14,16s.
Adams (dry) sizes 12,14,16,18 (covers a vast aray of different Mayflies you will see on the water)
Royal Wulff (my favorite brookie dry fly) size 12,14,16
Copper John (a good dropper underneath a dry) size 16,18
Elk Hair Caddis (another must-have fly) size 14,16, a few 18s...mostly 14s though in both dark and light color.

Those are a few high lake/river summertime patterns without making things too complicated...bring along different size tippet, but mainly you will should be fishing 5x (4 lb)....with a spool of 4x for your streamers. for the most part you shouldnt need alot of gear, just some tippet, a couple of spare leaders, some forecepts, and a flybox.

On another note, dont forget your rainjacket either, along with your flashlight, water, knife and firestarting stuff...i dont go anywhere without those, and if you dont have alot of experience in the mountains you dont want to be caught short...

Hope you have fun ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would u sudjest me bringing waders

umm do u know any good spots, lakes that i can hit up in the park

is it a lot of sight casting of is it mayority blind casting regardless im bringing my sunglasses

thanks so much

B

·
0 Posts
Since I know of no church camps on bigger water I would assume you'll be close to small streams. If that's the case, leave the waders behind and just chuck some flies. Dries, wets, nymphs-it ain't gonna be rocket science on Buckhorn Creek or wherever you're going.
One side note-how old are you vhs07? O0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
17, a senior in high school, ive done a little trout fishing in texas for rainbows and ive caught some small stream trout in new mexico on a backpacking trip in philmount
ive always seen pictures of cutthroats and there on my list of fish to catch

B

·
0 Posts
Well, good luck to you Ben, hope you catch some. The cutts you seek are probably gonna be best found in a high lake, like Emmaline or Cirque above Pingree Park, if that's the neck of the woods you find yourself in.
And by all means, stay in school and tune-up that spellin'. ;D

Bill

B

·
0 Posts
No Grayling in the park, Ben. Try Joe Wright Res, if you're close enough. And it's Poudre, not pounder. It's the French word for powder, as in gunpowder.

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have caught a couple of green back cutthroats out of the very upper Poudre, but your best bet for them are the mountain lakes and streams, especially in Rocky Mountain National Park. Good Luck and enjoy Colorado!!! ;D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Take a look at Long Draw Res.
It is on the northern border of RMNP just outside the park.
The road should be open by July.
It is awesome fishing in July for cutts with dry flies and nymphs.
The outlet below the dam is good with attractor dries too if you want to stream fish.

Thumper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts