Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna get into making hair jigs and ice flies and stuff like that. Anyone here ever done powder painting of jig heads before? It seems pretty straightforward. One thing that I have seen recommended over and over is making sure to cure afterward....I’m thinking of running to cabelas on my way to Denver on Friday-they should have that stuff, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Defintiely what he said^^^

They are the most efficient way to do it. I tried with standard technique of torch and pliers, it was pain. You will figure out how much heat is too much(when your lead melts) and how much isnt enough(when you get dull sheen paint)

Buy the Wapsi jigheads if you are gonna get into jigs. They have a hook that wont break or bend on SP trout.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Back in the 90's my family had a large powder coating shop. I ran 100 quality jigs taped the hooks and stuck them with a production run of snowmobile trailers " we specialized in oversize items " gloss black. we would cook the trailers 45 mins around 500* plus opened the door and only hooks :) melted the lead right off them

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
I heat my jigheads, arranged by size in the oven at 400 degrees for about five mins. Starting with the smaller ones, pull out one at a time, shut oven door and swirl jighead in the jar of PP then hang. Turn the jar over to fluff the powder back up and repeat. Once done, I take the jigheads and inspect one by one, drill out the weedguard housing and clean out the hook eyes. Then I finish them in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 mins. Been producing jigs for many years and this technique is the best I have found WITHOUT using a fluid bed.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I use a heat gun, works pretty good and the wife doesn't get mad about the oven.burning lead isn't really very good for you.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
I heat my jigheads, arranged by size in the oven at 400 degrees for about five mins. Starting with the smaller ones, pull out one at a time, shut oven door and swirl jighead in the jar of PP then hang. Turn the jar over to fluff the powder back up and repeat. Once done, I take the jigheads and inspect one by one, drill out the weedguard housing and clean out the hook eyes. Then I finish them in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 mins. Been producing jigs for many years and this technique is the best I have found WITHOUT using a fluid bed.
Damn bass guys are more anal than flailers !:eek:

·
Registered
6,427 Posts

This! I will always clear the eyes before curing so I don't have to do it on the water.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use a small toaster oven to heat my jigs, Find a little rack to hang the jigs on. This gives me the option of painting 20-30 at a time. Any more then that they cool down to much. Using the white primer makes the colors a little brighter.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Heat jigs

I think a lighter for 3 to4 seconds works better than a heat gun.I have fluid beds but a quick stir seems to work just as well. How long and at what temp do you heat jigs before dipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts