Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is everyone planning on going? I am hoping to do a trip April 15 - 19, then again 4 weeks later in May.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
When is everyone planning on going? I am hoping to do a trip April 15 - 19, then again 4 weeks later in May.
I'm tentatively planning the week of the 21st, but it looks like a scheduling issue may have arisen for my other half that could foul things up.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
I will be at Powell April 23rd-29th. Staying in the hotel at Wahweap got the boat in a slip.

Should be good!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Heading down this Thursday for 4 days just to check things out, then back down the last week of April.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just got back yesterday. Good weather and good fishing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My dad, my son and myself went to Bullfrog and fished 2 and half days. We trolled, jigged and casted rocky structure and caught a couple dozen stripers and walleye. Just about everything we tried worked to some degree. Typical shad style baits in the backs of canyons will produce as well as anything.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am confirmed for my trip in two weeks. Hoping for good weather and cooperative fish. If anyone is around Bullfrog at the same time, let me know.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Has anyone ever fished the San Juan inlet? I've been wanting too and have not made it down there yet.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've been clear up the San Juan, good for stripers and Crappie. didn't find walleye there. I've got some friends heading up there the last week of April.
I'm getting my boat ready but not sure when I'll head out there yet, might be the first part of May.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I might have to check it out in a couple weeks. I've always heard that the bass and crappie fishing was good right at the inlet.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a long haul from any marina to the mouth of the San Juan, even at these water levels. From Bullfrog, I would say you are looking at around 150 miles round trip.

In the summer we take the houseboat up to Cha Canyon, then tool around with the little boats from there. I don't think I would have enough fuel to make it without the houseboat.

Honestly, I think it would be a little spooky going up that far this time of year, as you are unlikely to see anyone up there. The solitude is nice, as long as you don't have mechanical problems.

After going to Powell in January last year, I ended up buying an 8 HP kicker to put on my Lund. I like having a back up plan, and figure that could get me back to the marina should something happen to my main engine.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think there is. You would be well served to ask that question on Waynes Words. I want to say that it is a drive through tribal land, hand launch, and a long walk.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I Ran down to Dangling rope fueled up and brought plenty of extra fuel cans and went clear up the San juan years ago when the water was up, it was fun exploring. My friends take there house boat up to the big bend area.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts