Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our was a great trip. We had perfect weather, blue sky most of the time. We went to the Escalante River Arm.

The water was 69-77 degrees depending on the canyon and sun exposure, 77 was nice for swimming. We did a lot of exploring.

Cathedral in the Desert - Indian Canyon.

Success getting up the water fall, now how to get down (jump 12 feet), they did!

My new Sunday best Church Hat, see it still has the tag.

I don’t own a working digital camera anymore (my daughters own them, friend Kris too), so I relied on others to take interest and photograph my catch…
That’s what I got, nice pictures of the fish. thank you!

My kids speculate that one of two things have happened too me, first that my true heritage is finally coming out, I am a Martian, or two, while some pets adopt there owners personality, the reverse is happening to me, I am becoming more and more like our dogs.

Of course there is another explanation for my new spots, Z-curse. Anyone else out there with these symptoms? I broke the curse about 4 weeks ago. I believe this to be the final stage of the open water variety curse.

I fished for maybe 12 hours, all together. I caught more than 30 SMB, 2 LMB, 1 walleye, 10 crappie, and 25 or so fat stripers. My kids liked fishing for crappie and they caught another or so 10 each, and some SMB, my friend Kris caught some too. Not one catfish was caught this trip

Sunday (Who could ask for more on Mothers Day) morning I was bait fishing on a beautiful morning for stripers with my two downrigger rods dropping the bait right to the fish using the line counter. It was a perfect technique, just about the time I had one rebaited and in the water, the other one started to click in free spool (with only the clicker on like in Jaws). So as I fighting one nice striper on one pole, and the reel on the other one started clicking, I flipped the clutch to hook the fish. Then the reel started screaming. The rod in the rod holder held up to the first run, but not the second run - snap. I landed the fish though, about a 6 lb striper. Geez, those fish sure pull on your line. Cabela’s said they will replace it.

The smallmouth bass were on the rocky sloping shorelines. I didn't spend as much quality time as I wanted trying to find walleye - to busy learning the area etc. I will have a better idea next time. The one I caught was on a pumpkin tube jig tipped with a crawler on a rocky shore line in Davis Gulch. This was the shore near camp.

The crappie were in the back of canyons around old timber.

Crappie fishing Queen

The stripers were in the shade next to vertical walls I only really tried striper fishing in the Davis gulch/50 mile area of the main Escalante channel. There was a sand bar all the way across the channel about 1/3 of the way into 50 mile. It was 10 feet high so it will take another week or two, to submerge enough to cross.

My Lowrance 332 quit working while trying to start the engine with a low battery. It will not turn on, so I probably have to send it in for repair. Fortunately the Matrix 67 was still working fine.

The dogs had a great time too. Mocha learned to swim and every time the kids went swimming Zippy went too, he is a great kids dog. He tried to wear the pads off his feet though, chasing lizards, now he is no longer zippy, now we call him Slow.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think the spots can be attributed to a " fishermans tan" which is related to the "farmers tan"

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I'll keep an eye on the spots, to see if they spread to other areas or just go away. I'm glad to know they can be attributed to other things, besides heritage, pets, or Z-curse.

M

·
0 Posts
That's a beautiful area - thanks for sharing the pics! Another place I'll have to ad to the list.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The back canyons are a magical place................ makes ya feel a little insignificant when you think of the earth`s aging process. Another note is the star-filled sky at night........you`ll not want to sleep or you`ll miss more shooting stars or satellites.............. definately a must do.

Great report Terre!! now........... about that sunscreen......... ;D

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MB,

She is 6 months, really birdy.

Mowfish,

it took 8 hours and 30 minutes from Lakewood to Bullfrog. I drove at 65-70 miles per hour except on hills, taking it easy on the transmission. (the truck ran great - re - the spark plugs seem OK).

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
What can a person say, great trip. loved the pics especially the ones of your feet...........I believe there is a salve you can put on that......... ;)

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Dan said:
What can a person say, great trip. loved the pics especially the ones of your feet...........I believe there is a salve you can put on that......... ;)
Anglers of that caliber, you don't just put salve on them, you anoint their feet with scented oil and rare perfumes. ;)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Great looking pictures. Making memories!! I'm envious.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walking Eagle said:
Dan said:
Anglers of that caliber, you don't just put salve on them, you anoint their feet with scented oil and rare perfumes. ;)
:D :D You'll are too darn funny!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts