Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size hooks do you like to use for Power Bait? It seems that I am eaither too small or too big...

Also- how do you rig up shiners or suckers? I can't seem to get them to really stick onto my hook.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As far as Powerbait hook size I usually use about a size six and just cover the shank of the hook completely with the powerbait. As far as live I couldn't tell ya since I've never really used any myself.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I prefer gold #8 aberdeen hooks, with a ball of bait just large enough to cover the bend and the point of the hook - just a tad larger than your little fingernail. Using too large of a bait causes missed bites.

Many people like to hook a bait fish through the back near the dorsal fin (but missing the spine, hopefully), but I like to put the hook into their mouth and out through the top of the head somewhere behind the upper lip. It doesn't seriously injure them (the brain is quite a bit further back) and they stay alive and wiggling for a long time. They stay on the hook better too, because you are going through some bony structures that are actually tougher than the back of the fish.

·
Registered
699 Posts
for me the live hook i use is a #4 circle through the back just behind the dorsal. they wiigle like mad and live till eaten then again only ever used live on cats and bass

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
for the power bait i go with the smallest hooks i can get and use just enough bait to barely cover the hook 14-18 trebles or same size salmon egg hooks for easyer unhooking lower mortality

L

·
0 Posts
Small (live) minnows I hook through the lips and large (live) minnows I run an aberdeen hook through the mouth, out the gill and hooked into the side of the body towards the dorsal or tail. I've even hooked large minnows in the tail (the muscle not the fin) Dead minnows I hook through the side of the head & back around through the body

If your asking how to "rig" minnows as opposed to "hooking" them, I like to lindy rig or use a slip bobber.

As far as powerbait,,,, ?? I don't use it.

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Ok I am going to make the fly fisherman cringe...the best small minnow/leech hook made is the Tiemco 2487 Light Wire hook in a size 10...they are strong (have held a 14 pound wiper and numerous above 10)...and sharp as needles (the important part)...for big minnows like suckers I like a size 8 treble and hook the minnow just under the dorsal...plus suckers like shiners are kind of wimpy...they die easily...

Here is the crazy one...when we were kids and would fish the trout streams of southeastern Minnesota for Browns we would use 1.5 to 3 inch fatheads like you can buy here...we used to cast them on hook by themselves like a lure...and quarter them across a stream like a Rapala or a spinner...only it was even more deadly since it was live bait...well we found the best place to hook them to cast and drift them repeatedly was through the eyes...thats right in one eye and out the other...if a fish hits they aim for the head and they have to pull the bait off by pulling the hook through the boney part of the skull...well here is the surprising part...with Fatheads and crappie minnows...it does not kill the minnow...yep that is right...they swim like there is no tomorrow...like little motor boats...and for a long time...it is a great presentation under a bobber or just casting and slowly reeling working a rocky dam type shore line...cast it let it sink...they dart for the rocks...when they get there pull up a little and reel a little...fish absolutely slam them...it is like having a live lure...so next time out try hooking your Fatheads in one eye and out the other...I have to admit I have not tried it with big suckers or chubs...I think it would work with chubs because they are so hardy...not sure about suckers...do not try it with Shiners...if you breath on a Shiner it will die...

I rarely use power bait...but when I do the same 2457 light wire hook works great...no weight and float right up off the bottom...

M

·
0 Posts
Agree with Zman on everything except the hooks for Power Bait. I usually have an assortment of size 14, 16, and 18 gold or red treble hooks. For stocked trout, I go to the 18s or 16s first. For larger fish I use the 14s

·
Registered
833 Posts
A few good hooks are the Eagle Claw 374s in red or the soft bait trebles. Also, check out the new Nitro treble. This treble has a cavity in the shank that will hold the bait better than a standard treble and it comes in five colors.
I've tested them and they work well. Walmart picked them up this year. You can buy them snelled or in a colored assortment pack with just hooks. Stick some Nitro dough bait on it with a little gravy and see what happens.
www.nitrobait.com
I'm not intending to sound like an advertising machine
but the stuff works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts