Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best make/model/ size for ice fishing in Colorado? I have a hand auger now and I am getting sick of drilling through 2ft of ice.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had the same problem, I went with a 2hp Jiffy Stealth 8" works like a champ and is very reliable. I though about buying a 3hp 10" but weight becomes a big issue when hauling around trying to find locate fish and the 10 inch hole can be dangerous although there fun to fish out of.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
even a 6" hole can be dangerous if i got a power jober id go for the 10"

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I have a 8" strikemaster and a 10" jiffy. I use the 8" 90% of the time 'cause its SO easy to haul around.Light weight I hike a little with it just carry it over my shoulder,No way can do that with the 10".It uses less gas,actually cuts holes faster,and the blades are much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I also have an 8" Lazer Strikemaster and it whups up on the ice. I can go through 24" of ice in about 15 seconds. If you carry it just below the engine (on the auger axle) it balances nicely for longs hauls - no problems!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
the only bad thing i've heard about the strikemaster augers is replacing the blades, especially after fishing one of the "dirty ice" lakes. i heard the were pretty spendy and didnt hand sharpen well.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
The "Lazer" blades are real spendy and I dont think you can shapen by hand.I have the single "chipper" blade and it is easily sharpened by hand with a vise and file.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i like eskimo augers, the only thing ive had a problem was i broke two sets of new blades, i got free ones because they were on warranty

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
my buddy has an eskimo and after using my jiffy he leaves his home unless we are gonna fish in different groups away from each other(tourneys) his, even with new blades doesn't even begin to cut like my jiffy. his does start and run better usually though. my jiffy seems to need one hole to warm up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use the 8" Lazer as well and have sharpend the blade with a hand file or stone, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last year I was ice fishing at Dillon. I drilled my hole with my Strikemaster and started to fish. This guy fishing by me said I can drill a hole faster with my hand auger than you can with your gas one. Now, my auger starts on the third pull everytime. Well, I thougt the guy was just kidding around, but, he wasn't. So, finally after listening to this guy for 5-10 min. I just said get your money out and lets see how fast you are with that hand auger. And then this goofball started back stepping. I also have a hand auger and it works just fine. Plus the ice was about 14-18" thick. What ever one uses, if you like it then that's great. This guy was just kind of strange. Plus, I was catching fish and he wasn't doing to well.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
sometimes it's like these guys that only have hand augers get like the little guy in the bar syndrome,wanting to prove something. most of us with power augers really don't care how fast you can drill a hole by hand!!!! i'd rather drill 4 holes with my jiffy and, heaven forbid, make some noise and ozone pollution. i like the sound of my auger when it starts kicking some a%% through the ice, it's kindof like a little hot rod. and then i'm not all sweaty and tired from drilling like 50 holes a day if the fish are finicky.. if ya like your hand auger more power to ya and yes when the ice is 25 inches thick, if you ask i'll drill your holes for you...

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I always seem to have the guy come up next to where I am fishing with the power auger that hasnt changed his blades in two years and takes 10 minutes to get through...enough already...you mean I have to change my blades?...thats my only gripe...most are not that way though...and kill all the ozone you want...its going to be there until I die...

D

·
0 Posts
I have a 10" power auger, but most of the time an 8" hole would be plenty big and the augers that drill 8" holes are a lot lighter. I only got the 10" for fishing for big lakers. If I get a few extra bucks this winter, I'll probably pick up an 8".

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Don could a person just pickup the lower end in an 8 inch diameter and put it on your powerhead? Seems like it would be cheaper and easier than carrying 2 complete augers.

The only problem I see with this is possibly over torqing on a smaller size.

Any one have any experience with this?

Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Dan said:
Don could a person just pickup the lower end in an 8 inch diameter and put it on your powerhead?  Seems like it would be cheaper ....
Dan
Yes, I think I could get an 8" blade. The extra weight, though, is primarily in the powerhead. If I had an 8 " and was just headed out for trout or panfish I would probably be inclined to take just the 8" and keep the 10" for the times I go hunting for lakers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don, I've squezzed one 25lb a couple twenty pound lakers and plenty up to and over 15lbs through an 8" hole. Weight makes a huge difference when deep snow and hills are the order for the day.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks, Oats-

Yes, that extra weight really does make a difference. I'm going to look into a lighter one this Winter. A friend of mine has a much lighter one that has a 10" blade. It's at least 10 years old. I don't remember what brand. That would probably be perfect, but I don't know if it's still being made.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i need a snowmobile with a 3point and PTO and then i could run powerfull auger and not have to carry it just drive and drill lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts