Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Thornton Sportsmans just got a shipment of 4" Power Minnows in. Needless to say i stocked up!!!

Only problem is that the new version with the eye's. They seem a little thicker and the plastic is a little stiffer, maybe? I sure hope they have that nice flex that the older version had when snap jigged?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Neal, you seem to be pretty confident in these so I'm going to buy some. I've been using the smaller Walleye Assasins and the Fin-S with good success earlier in the season.
What color do you prefer? I'm not pro Berkeley but what the
heck.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been using the shad and smelt colors. I use the power minnows for jiggin off the bottom and the Fin S fish for horizontal retrieves.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought some about a month ago based on recommendations on this forum. I have my son still fish them under a bobber and he's caught smallies, trout, crappie and bluegill. I have no idea what Berkely puts in them, but fish seem to like them.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hey Neal/CO,

When you are fishing with 4 ' power minnows, what size hook do you use? Also, are you using a weighted jig head or split shotting.

Have you had any luck with the Chartruse power minnow?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fish them on 1/4 oz jigheads with a good long shnk hook (1/0 or 2/0) You can buy Owner Ultraheads at Dicks. I cast them from shore or a boat and snap jig them back, even in cold water. Nothing finess about it. This spring when the water was still in the 40s I was pounding the eye's at Aurora on them and jerkbaits. But the keepers mostly came on the Power minnows. I have also caught walleye at Glendo and Chatfield on them recently. And big trout also.

I have been using the baitfish colors, but I am sure the chartruese would work also?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I agree with you Neal those are one of my go to plastics. They catch EVERYTHING. My favorite color is the smelt but sometimes they are hard to find. Luckily I know of a small shop here in Denver that keeps a regular supply of them.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This fall i am going to experiment with the 5" Jerk shads fished vertical and popped off the bottom. The same fish that will blast a jigging spoon will also respond to the bigger version, (so I have been told)? They have no problem swallowing the 4" Power Minnows, so I doubt the bigger eye's will be imtimidated by the 5" model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts