Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I got a bit bored today so I put the bucket out in the yard and started casting at..... getting better... but sadly I am still not as conisitantly accurate with my casts as I would like to be.

anyways... what things to do you all do to practice on dry land?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Used to practice flip-pitching plastic worms in the backyard. Same method you're doing. Into a bucket. That was during the days of bass fishing.

I'd like to practice more with the slingshot cast so I can get through thick cover for larger beaver pond brookies. I usually like to slingshot a tiny earthworm on a size 8 hook with no weight out into the middle of a beaver pond for the larger brookies. On larger ponds, you have to get some distance to reach the fish and on some ponds you only have small openings that are kind of like shooting lanes that you'd have to cast through.

It works pretty good, but I'm wanting to work on accuracy and getting distance. The tough part is knowing how to not hook yourself.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
93 Posts
tbmanivong:
Boner??? What kind of practice are you talking about? I hope you do it in your back yard. Remeber to strech first.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
do you think your boss would understand that you hurt yourself while you were practicing fishing in your back yard

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
tbmanivong said:
Concentrate. Make sure you don't have a BONER while practicing.
Fishdawg said:
tbmanivong:
Boner??? What kind of practice are you talking about? I hope you do it in your back yard. Remeber to strech first.
CHRIS said:
Yo Tb,
You get more distance that way!!!!! :D :D :D
LOL What kind of fish do u guys catch with this technique?

T

·
0 Posts
HookNLine said:
tbmanivong said:
Concentrate. Make sure you don't have a BONER while practicing.
Fishdawg said:
tbmanivong:
CHRIS said:
Yo Tb,
You get more distance that way!!!!! :D :D :D
LOL What kind of fish do u guys catch with this technique?

It's called the "HAPPY FISHERMAN."

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well I usually practice while im out. When the fish aint biting .. Thats a good time to throw some line. Ive tried flyfishing with a fly rod at home but that just messes up your line.

TBMANIVONG .. Yeah lets just keep that technique at home and not bring it out .. Its already disturbing with naked dudes on the boats..

steve

T

·
0 Posts
monkies_butt said:
Well I usually practice while im out. When the fish aint biting .. Thats a good time to throw some line. Ive tried flyfishing with a fly rod at home but that just messes up your line.

TBMANIVONG .. Yeah lets just keep that technique at home and not bring it out .. Its already disturbing with naked dudes on the boats..

steve
I was just referring to his Colorado Fisherman's Screen Name. Hahaha. I'm not a exhibitionist- All the times we've fished, I think I have some clothes on.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive been practicing throwing my cast net in the yard still suck big time maybe 1 out of 10 are acceptable so far

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Once I figure out how to cast the baitcaster I bought, hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I will doing the same thing bucket in the back yard and targets under the bush. I have a small fountain in my back yard that I would try to hit with a roll cast when I was learning to fly cast. The old neighbor lady got a kick out of it and always asked if I caught anything today.

·
Registered
324 Posts
LOL thats cool some people just need to be in others buss. to have fun but thats all right you should put a fish in their wait for her to watch and nail it man that would be a good laugh. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
My nephew (4 years old) keeps "practicing" casting his zebco in the pool...still has not caught anything...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I learned to cast in a very similar manner. A 5 foot fiberglass pole (I still have it) a zebco reel and an old tire in the back yard. You might try this too, if you have any trees that hang down 5 or 6 feet off the ground go under and around them and practice a side arm cast and even an underhand kind of thing. I think bass fisherman call it flipping.) Move your bucket to different positions and distances. Put the bucket under a tree, make it an obstacle course for casting.

Dan

F

·
0 Posts
just keep pitching 5 dollar spinnerbaits into tree's after a while you learn ......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts