Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've always been reading how bass will act different during the time of the spawn season and I just couldn't find anything on what is the current time. I know with being in Colorado since our summer starts a little later and doesn't go as long as most areas out east, that the spawn times might be different even if I did find info on it. Does anyone really know when Bass seem to hit the prespawn time, the actual spawning time and the post spawn time? Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You hit it on the head, temperature is the key...fish dont have watches, so a lot of thier activities is based on the temperature of the water they reside in. thats why you can kind of (more or less)predict when they will spawn, feed, ect ect based on the time of the year, but it really pays to carry a thermometer with you and keep a close eye on the particular body of water you plan on fishing. alot of fresh water game fish really turn on in the spring when the temps start reaching the mid 50s, i believe largemouth bass spawn when water temps reach around 55 degrees. i imagine crappie, perch, and sunfish are about the same....

ive noticed in smaller ponds and lakes in colorado late april-may is the time crappie and bass usually start getting more active and start bedding...but i imagine in larger lakes it might even be later

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where would you get a decent thermometer? I've tried Walmart for something like what you would use in a science lab type thermometer but all they had was kitchen/cooking thermometers which weren't real great or effective for water temperature. Any suggestions there?

T

·
0 Posts
check out this link to cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0011337310804a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D:hasJS=+&QueryText=thermometers&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jhtml.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=thermometers&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

you can also pick one up at just about any fly shop, sportsman wharehouse, gander mountain etc.  kmart/walmart just don't have the specifc goods. most are listed as stream thermometers, but trust me, they will work in lakes shallow and deep.

water temp in all fishing seasons, except ice fishing is critical to behavior and as such opportunity to catch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have gone through two of the normal type thermometers in the last three years. Very fragile and easy to break. Mercury is some bad stuff to mess with. I recently purchased the digital Thermometer and love it. Gives very quick readings, and you are less likely to break it.
http://www.cabelas.co.nz/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0011337318494a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=cat20556&podId=0011337&catalogCode=IF&parentId=cat20556&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20431&hasJS=true

Only down side it is a bit expensive. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fish spawn on water temperature not time of year, of that rottal is 100% correct. (the brown trout on the colorado river near glenwood are almost winter spawners, starting in mid october and ending in mid january, I have extensive evidence that agrees with this as well.) Bass are the same way as the trout are, except they obviously spawn at a different water temperature and time of year. I was reading somewhere once that bass start to spawn when the water is roughly 56 degrees fahrenheit. Oftentimes though, even if the water is this temperature and they sense a cold front coming they will postpone the spawn for a while. We saw this at jerry creek this year. It got warm for a week and the bass came shallow in one of their spawning places we know of. It got cold again and then the bass went back deep, even though the water temperature was still high 50's, they didn't want to spawn during the storm. I believe maybe they were worried that winter was coming or something, because I have never seen the bass act this confused as to where to go at jerry creek this year. This odd weather is really throwing them off and I bet the spawn will be fairly unsuccessful this year due to this. I am really worried about the spawn, at least at jerry creek the fish are very confused.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Bass spawn around 55 - 60 degrees. Most of the time in the South, that is around early april. In central regions like Colorado, usually the water sits in that range in very early may. In northern states like Wisconsin and Minnesota, which have growing seasons that are much shorter than CO and colder water temperatures, Bass spawn in the end of May and early June. But it all depends on water temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts