Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I saw some predators in action:

First, a feisty and HUNGRY little snake... I watched him f*** up a little mouse and then clumsily guard his territory. It was pretty wicked.

Second, I saw a Fish and Game fella stalking his prey as well... He wrote two tickets that I saw, and when he got to me, I had my license out and ready for him. He was actually a pretty cool dude to be honest.

And now, ON TO FISHING!

Overcast day, big hoppers didn't work. Bead head nymphs didn't work... I spent an hour walking around the lake, trying to decipher the patterns of the fish... They were moving from deep to shallow every time the sun came out and were actively feeding. After an hour of stalking my prey and learning their habits, I found the right fly and right method for attacking them...

Once the fly got real wet, it ceased to sit on the surface. I found that this was important... It would sit about an inch to two inches BELOW the surface and THIS was the strike zone. Each time I'd move locations and the fly would dry out, it would sit on top of the water and the fish ignored it.

Casting directly at a school just spooked em, with the exception of a few tiny ones who couldn't fit the fly in their mouths anyway. I had to cast 4-6 feet PAST the school and allow the fly to naturally move over top... Then the feeding frenzy would begin.

I lost track of how many fish I caught... but I missed a WHOLE LOT MORE than I caught. Just getting the feel for when to try the hookset was most of it. Since it ceased to be a "dry" when it got wet, I couldn't see it perfectly alot of times when it was more than 10 feet out. I had to watch for the little green foam tag to disappear (supposedly into a small mouth) and try the hookset.

By the end of the day, this fly was completely trashed... partly from the fish I caught, partly from the tree-limb hangups. All in all, bad-ass day.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It's been a ROUGH month fishing, and I REALLY needed a day like today... hunting prey. ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Very good report and thanks!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It sure was fun sight fishing with a fly rod. When I had to leave the lake, all I wanted to do was go right back... There were a few real nice sized gills I had targeted but was hit by the small ones before the big guys had a chance. I wanted those big ones!

One I saw must have been close to 9 inches... Maybe 8.5. I tried for him several times. After I took 2 out of that school, they went deeper and hid out...along with the big one.

It was funny, I saw gills all over the shoreline, but only 2 spots delivered for me... One had a ton of overhang, so I understood that one. The other was a very unassuming spot with no overhang and just a little bit of structure... No different than most of the shoreline.

After catching several out of those two locations, I ended up just bouncing back and forth between the two. When one school would spook and take cover, I would go to the other spot and do it all over again. I got into a nice rhythm there towards the end.

I went with the eyelet-less rod because it has superior rod action compared to the old glass rod I have as backup. Tangled in the eyelet mounts a few times, but it didn't stop me from having a blast.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gary. And I think I forgot to mention, all fish were released. As much as I love eatin' me some gills....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts