Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? Can anyone get some pics of pressure ridges. I am new to ice fishing and wikipedia does not show anything only explains what they are. They do sound scary.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sorry, I don't have pictures, but just picture the ice buckling or two edges pushing up against each other. For example, take two stacks of papers, one in each hand. Now, push these two stacks of paper towards eachother. When the edges meet they'll push up to form a vee. This is the same thing the ice will do. I hope this helps and trust me you'll know a pressure ridge when you see one.

Most importantly, be careful when crossing a pressure ridge. Some folks steer clear of them all together, but they can be crossed.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
On rare accasions the ice will also buckle downward into the water, and form only a thin skim coat over an icy hole into the depths. That's really scary!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
On rare accasions the ice will also buckle downward into the water, and form only a thin skim coat over an icy hole into the depths. That's really scary!!
Great point! Just like a good lawyer covering all the angles eh? ;D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
checkers8 said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Great point! Just like a good lawyer covering all the angles eh? ;D
I almost bought it in one of those years ago in the pre-dawn. Only a shout out in the dark from another fisherman saved me from walking right into it. He had seen it in the daylight the day before when it was open water. When the sun came up and I got a look at what I almost stepped into it changed forever how I ice fish. For that reason my first trip of the season out onto any lake in the winter is never in the dark.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Crossed one at .Aurora Res. The lake had a good eight inches of ice and the ridge was around fifty yards long. When I stepped over the ridge one leg went through the ice and the other leg was on solid ice. There was a spot about two sq. feet that had not frozen. I now walk around them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
In another thread I mentioned it was kinda like frozen pipes - the ice has to go somewhere. All lakes will have heaves and cracks. Some are quite unnerving: there's one that forms at Blue Mesa that has water shooting out of it from time to time as it heaves - think ice quake - Hubby's phrase 'The ice is falling, the ice is falling' got him into trouble with a buddy...

Speaking of ice falling, try fishing Gross late season - the lake drops so quickly that there are shelves of ice that are stuck to the rocks and fall down as the sun warms the rocks up. That'll make you pucker for sure!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yup, steer clear. In MN at some of the lakes they build bridges over them. My uncle went through at Mille Lacs Lake with his truck back when he was guiding in the 80s, he made it out OK. When I was a kid we used to jump them with snowmobiles and wheelers, it was all fun till I busted through.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
captain shuyak said:
I hit em at 60 mph.
When you have to cross one, this is true, faster is better than slow. This I know from my childhood and fishing with my Grandpa on Lake Superior, where we often had to "jump" a 3 or 4 foot gap. Pick a spot without ice sticking up in the air - which will launch you into the air or worse, and try to pick a spot without a big gap 6 foot plus of open water. If the ice thickness is good, it will usually be good right up to the pressure ridge, one could fish through one of them, with decent ice (4" plus). Use caution around them though... they ice over and may look safe, but have only skim of ice covering them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:eek: holy pressure ridge's. Thanks for all the info guys. The pics were helpful also. I have seen these at lake john in the spring. We dont need a rope B, the homie in white camo has no rope, crazy Rivrunnr.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Here is the thread that Dave speaks of above...and Instant Colorado Fisherman classic...the accounts of Talo and Dave vary greatly...and even the victim (Quick Release) accounts vary...it is a great read...and a reminder that all is not how it seems out on the ice...they were fortunate they had Terre screaming GUN IT!!!!!...

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=40648.0

1 - 18 of 18 Posts