Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Now that fuel has crossed over $3.00 per gallon in some areas in the US, how will you manage your future fishing outings, and at what price will you seriously stop the bus and think I can't continue this way... how much are you willing to pay to continue your fishing exploits?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am there now it is just rediculous i drive a 6 cyl. car i dont know how you guys with big trucks and boats do it even with a good paying job.

however i do have a suggestion carpool!! split the cost and take a friend not only will it lower cost but you will be investing in a relationship yes i said relationship that could prove to be more valuable than the fish you caught. i mean in a bonding since

·
Registered
943 Posts
i think i will try to find someone to split the cost with because i cant afford it by myself. so anyone who needs a partner let me know

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I don't often fish too far from home but every year I like to make a few trips to new places or just places that I enjoy fishing.

I will be less likely to make as many trips unless I am reasonably sure that I will have some success. It does not bother me so much to spend a day or 2 away and not do so well fishing but I have to justify the cost.

I can get skunked just as easily at Chatfield as 11-Mile and do it without spending $50 bucks for gas.

I won't give up fishing other lakes, but I will be more selective.

Dan

·
Registered
324 Posts
i realize most people probley fish with in a 10 mile radius of there home but this also adds up quick. i only live less than a mile from horsetooth i dont go there any more i have been skunked every time. i also fish from shore. anyways good luck all and hope that gas doesn't totally limit fishing as i believe that we have just begun to see gas prices raise. i dont want to get political but it is apparent that oil pipe lines are easy targets and it is imposible to guard every section of these. just my 2 cents please dont get all worked up about this i believe that its better to be prepared than blind-sided!!! :-\

F

·
0 Posts
it is what it is ........but nothing will keep me from fishing all over the state . I like trying new waters and really like catching new fish so high gas doesnt bother me to much . Its an expensive sport if you really get into it no matter what ....lures line decent rods and reels ....some waters are getting so competitive and fished so hard your kinda competing with the other fisherman . So spending the money to get to lakes that arent over fished is well worth it in my mind ....even if looking at the price at the pump makes you cringe

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Simple. Go with 2-3 friends and split the gas money. The jobless friends or cheap friends can stay at home. 25 gallon tank, going 240-300 miles one way can't afford to pay it by myself each weekend.

·
Registered
324 Posts
hers the problem will you continue to fish thoose waters if you are paying $5-$7 a gallon even in my little car that would cost 60 -72 Dollars A TANK and i have to get to work everyday which is 10 miles one way. now i realize that that is the extreme but it will go over $3 a gallon here in colorado.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i am seriously considering buying a motorcyle for this reason. i couldnt pull my boat but oh well better to be able to pay the mortgage than go far to fish. yes it is getting that bad for me

·
Registered
324 Posts
you know a positive spin on this is that i have planned on getting a bike for awhile to get back in shape and this just encourges that idea and even though horsetooth has ownned my ass this year it wouldn't be a bad ride since i live right next to it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Currently, to fill my tank is around $75.00-$80.00, then add the boat, around $30.00-$35.00. Yes I will limit the areas I go. Fishing is a lot of fun, and family enjoys fishing and boating.

Was just up at Grand Lake, probably spent $500.00, those kind of trips won't be to often.

But like in the mid 70's manufacturers are a big part of this and sticking it to us

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From Roadkill:

ive been thinking bout converting my truck to propane the price of propane right know in bulk seams to be almost half that of gass or diesel any one run propane on their rig?

and if it hit 7-8 a gallon ill grow cron and convert my tuck to alcohol

Pete: Man!  If it hits 7 or 8 dollars a gallon, I'll grow corn and drink the alcohol!!!

I agree that I could  be more selective going forward, but if I don't get away.. I may go mad.

Agreed, that connecting up with other members or friends and splitting fuel is the smart thing to do.

My next two outings are booked with friends and members, but keep an eye out for my posts during the next several weeks, I'll be looking for members to partner up with to split costs.

The things that really get under my craw with the increasing gas prices is that for the immediate future we're helpless to make any impact to affect lower prices... politics and fat cats lining their pockets.  Yeah I heard the mantra world supply and demand, maybe some, but you can bet that many are making millions right here in the US. I just hope I'm alive to see the day when eventualy this nation weans itself off oil as a primary source and finds alternative fuel sources.... and just wait until the home heating bills come in!!!

Alright I'm going to a happy place....

·
Registered
829 Posts
Propane would be good, but remember in the winter months price goes up, need to weigh cost of conversion and over all use

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
did ya ever notice that gas stations raise their prices everyday but they only get gas shipments like at the most every week, if they are not taking advantage of us they wouldn't raise the price until they themselves realize a price raise. which i would assume would be when they get a shipment, not every morning when they get to the station...

·
Registered
107 Posts
let me asure you Jamie I am not here to defend the gas stations, however. They must raise the price as it climbs because they must have enough money to purchase the fuel in a # of days at the higher price, if they do not sell you higher priced gas, they will not have enough money to buy new gas to sell and therefore go out of business. They actually make their best money when prices start to drop and they can continue for a few days selling the higher price while having just purchased the cheaper gas. I just bought a new full sized truck a few months ago and now gas has gone up 80 cents so I am no more excited then anyone else.
Craig

1 - 20 of 30 Posts