3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading the paper today ok i was looking at the pics
but i read how thats guy just missed having the state record catfish
but im thinking should private water count when it comes to state
record fish how can it be a state record if its a private lake or water
that the rest of the state cant use

just my thoughts on this but if this is the case what is stoping some one
from getting a big fish tank and growing a record perch, crappie, bass........

·
Registered
797 Posts
Private water is still in the state. If some farmer has a pond and can manage it to grow state records more power to him. This is done all the time in other states.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It should count, it was still caught in this state which shows the potential for fish in this state. The angler still had to FISH for the fish and land it. So even if the water is private it was still caught and caught in the state.
That would be like floating the Arkansas and hooking into a record fish and saying because you caught him on a private stretch of water he doesnt count. It still takes skill to land large fish.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but its one thing to catch a fish in a river or lake that everyone else has a chance at but at a private lake the fish dies or eats what your throwing at it right i mean some day that fish will bite

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
There is a big difference in getting a 15lb bass to bite and landing the 15lb bass. I have lost alot of large fish in my life, even at my net which just takes the wind right out of you. To me its still an accomplishment.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but a 15# bass in the public watter gets to see every lure made
unlike a private water bass that might not see that many if any at all

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
So I take it you dont think they should be records. :p
I'm just giving my opinion... It takes skill to land big fish, wether its private or public water. Just because you can get it to bite doesnt mean you can land it.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well not sure if they should be records
they should have there own category for a record fish
because i bet ocean journey had some record fish there

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I agree with ePiC, they should count as records. I think that if you look at most state records, the fish are caught on waters accessible to the public. I have fished several private water systems, and my experience is that the large fish are just as hard to catch as they are on public water.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here is my two cents for what its worth......
That is a tuff question yes you still need some skill to land a state record but at the same time you have a much better chance of getting that hook up in Private waters. It seems it takes less luck and skill on private water then it does on public water. (But even that kind of depends on the body of water, size for example) Most private places I have fished are easy to catch fish in. In Fact, I have caught a small mouth that weighted just over 5lbs on my Wal-Mart scale I think the state record is 4lbs 12 oz (not certain) But I personally would not find it fair to count that as the state record because they where attacking anything that I through at them I had a bite or hook up almost every cast.... In fact my brother in law caught what I think to be the same fish an hour after I did... I guess that is a long way of saying I don't think they should count... Yes it takes skill but when you decrease the pressure in any lake you increase the amount of hook ups, which in turn increase the chance of hooking up with record fish...
Again... just my two cents :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Once I was fishing on private water and hooked a nice bass on a jig/pig and it snapped my line. About two hours and many fish later I caught one on a buzzbait and when I took the buzzbait out it had the jig/pig in its mouth. Same fish.

I have been on private water wading and had them swimming around my legs in plain site and I could trow a tube down and they would take it.

A state record on private water would of course still count but IMO it would'nt mean nearly as much as one caught on a public lake.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
kirbydog said:
I have been on private water wading and had them swimming around my legs in plain site and I could trow a tube down and they would take it.
I've had this happen at brush hollow I think they thought I was a log or something.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I suggest you whiners :eek: click on "Colorado Fishing Records" above. You can fish nearly all the lakes these record fish were caught from. Big deal if there are a few streams and ponds that are of limits to you.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I didn't think anybody was whining here-just having a conversation. ???

·
Registered
472 Posts
If anyone has a listing of private waters with limited public access (such as fish for a fee, membership, etc.) I sure would be interested in that information.

Carol Anne and RMAC are the few that I have fished and thought the action was spectacular! Its nice to be able to step off the beaten public stuff once in a while.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts