Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend finally convinced me that I should try fishing the deep waters of Gross for lake trout before the ice went away. We took off from work on Tuesday and headed to the reservoir. It was a great day with clear conditions, no wind and mild temperatures. We went to an area where my friend has fished in water to 150 feet deep before. We drilled some holes and found 165 fow. That was way too deep for me, but my friend decided to try it. I moved a bit and found 125 fow and got set up. It wasn't long before I had a hit. I was amazed. Before long my friend caught a nice fish from 165 feet. I changed my jig heads from 1/4 ounce to 3/8 ounce and got a better feel for the bottom. I started catching fish also. We fished from 7:00am to 3:00pm and caught and released 57 lake trout from the depths of Gross. All the fish were caught right on the bottom. A few fish came up with inflated air bladders, but most were not inflated. We burped the inflated ones and the went back down the holes fine. We had fish fron 7 inches to 22 inches with most running between 18 and 20 inches. It was an interesting outing and we both caught lake trout deeper than we had ever caught them before.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
That's interesting you caught fish that deep. My deepest lake trout ever was caught at 133 feet (and that was only one fish), but I did get a hit in 148 feet a while back.

Did you see any big marks at that depth?

Thanks! Very interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
That's interesting you caught fish that deep. My deepest lake trout ever was caught at 133 feet (and that was only one fish), but I did get a hit in 148 feet a while back.

My friend and I both use Showdowns and we really didn't see anything on the screens that suggested big fish. However, my friend did have a good fish on for several minutes and I had the neoprene gloves on to help pull it out of the hole. It came unbuttoned about 30 feet below the surface. He hooked that fish at 165 feet.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I personally have caught fish from 187 feet from here in Colorado i don't think you can go too deep

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Man, pretty kool. How's that ice out there? :eek:
The ice was still a good, solid 8 inches. It got a little soft on top in the afternoon. If it can survive today and tomorrow, it might have a few days left in it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
ThreadJack said:
Wow! Insane that you found em that deep. How thick was the ice?
Quote from: Mrwigglestheworm on Today at 02:25:09 pm
Man, pretty kool. How's that ice out there?

The ice was still a good, solid 8 inches. It got a little soft on top in the afternoon. If it can survive today and tomorrow, it might have a few days left in it.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DMac said:
My best Lake Trout out of there have been at 14ft,35ft,95??? 14ft being the best,interesting.Good Post.
I can honestly say I have never fished that shallow(14 ft.) at Gross, but I may have to go to the other extreme and try that depth this weekend.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks! Nice job!
I like the report! I'm surprised you do too!! He nearly broke it down to a science with many helpful tips. You know what they call this? Hypocrisy... uh... yeah... on your part that is. Next time I post a report with a tip & you jump all over me, I'll paste my goose thread & this one. Am I serious now? Not too much. I think it would be cool to meet you sometime. Peace. Although, now the fun begins again… ;D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Looks to me like you've already attempted your hijack. Why do you need to make everything about you? It isn't.

The reports dealt with completely different fisheries - different in terms of species, relative size of species, desirability of catch, proximity to population centers, size of impoundment, and susceptibility to damage from the "if I catch it, it must die" crowd.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Anyway, I'm done with this. It's not about you. It never has been.

This is an interesting report. Thanks U's2Btwistertail.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts