Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people love a challenge, like drawing to an inside straight, or hunting wolverines with a billy club. My favorite challenges are mostly related to fishing.

I favored the Loveland K-Mart with my august presence last week, and came away with a new piece of fishing equipment: a brand new Barbie rod. Everyone has dreamed of catching a fish longer than their rod, haven't they? Well, I thought my chances would improve if I had a shorter rod. The famous "Snoopy Rod" can no longer be found, but the Barbie is functionally and dimensionally equivalent. Fishermen whose masculinity is less secure than my own can get a Spider-Man rod instead.

This little beauty, made by Shakespeare, comes with a lovely pink 4-compartment tackle box (empty) with a hot-looking picture of Barbie on the front. The actual rod shaft is a full 22.5" long with two genuine metal guides. The overall length is 30" including the handle with built-in pink plastic reel. I miked out the preloaded line at 0.010" which would be about right for 6 lb. test. Eat your heart out, Gary Loomis! The line seems to have a lot of memory. It tends to form springy coils between the rod and the water, leading me to guess that Shakespeare also made the line, as well as the rod.

Warning: Do not remove the front cover of the reel unless you really need to. It is very easy to misalign and damage the plastic threads when replacing the cover. I am not going to tell you how I know that.

Actually, I prefer the more dignified term "non-magnetic" rather than plastic.

The first two times I took Barbie out with me, first to Lonetree Res. and then to Boyd Lake, she got totally skunked. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I don't know why. She just sat there at Boyd doing nothing, nursing that night crawler while at the same time I got out the ultralight and caught/released more than a dozen 10-13" bass with a small spinnerbait. Barbie remained sound asleep. Poor Barbie! Always a bridesmaid, but never a bride.

At one point, I considered using a Lucky Craft crank bait, but it just felt wrong, somehow, to be tying on a lure that cost twice as much as the rod. Using lures with this rod is rather tough, anyway. You have to use a lot of arm to cast such a short rod, and the retrieve ratio of the reel is pretty low. Jigging from a boat would work.

Finally I took her out to Lon Hagler, thinking I can always catch a trout or two there. I baited her up with a night crawler. Night crawlers are not terribly popular with Lon Hagler trout. But after a long wait, there was a good pull on the line. I set the hook rather more gingerly than I normally would, and Barbie had her first fish on.

The fish was taking out line too easily, and only then did it occur to me to wonder how the drag worked. There was a small thumbwheel on the top of the reel, so I turned it to the right, and the fish took out line faster. I turned it to the left and finally achieved some drag and was able to gain some line back on the fish.

It was one heck of a battle. By alternately pulling up the rod, then lowering it and quickly cranking up the slack, I finally brought my quarry to the water's edge and lifted out a 12" catfish. A fish!!! Barbie finally caught a fish! I was reminded of the words of the old Roman fishing guide Pescadorus, ?Illegitimus cepi!? (I caught the *******!).

It was not the realization of my lifelong dream, of course -- the fish was not as long as the rod -- but still a nice initiation for the new equipment.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Hehe, you just practicing for the snoopy rod fishing tournament!!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
WE-You are truly pushing the envelope here-may have opened up a whole new realm of ultralight fishing. My congratulations-I am envious of your milestone accomplishment.

Those are some striking colors on that rod. I don't favor the pistol grip syle handle but to each their own. Best of luck at getting a fish longer than the rod-I gotta feeling its gonna happen. ;D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention -- just as Barbie and I were leaving Lon Hagler, a hatchery truck pulled up, and dumped 2500 14" rainbow trout. Argh! Just our luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
And I thought a 7 lb cat was a good fight on an ultra-light!!! Great story!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I think that is the funniest thing i've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job BarBie and WE!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
943 Posts
we is practicing for the snoopy tournament nice job ;D

F

·
0 Posts
I can just see walking eagle walking the shoreline at lon hagler with a barbie pole...hahahahahah...i think its great......Jonnyo thats what retirement is all about dude....Finally being able to do whatever you want ..

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
WE,

I've always thought it was a great design to have a reel so integrated with the rod that when either of them break, you are forced to throw the whole thing away... Wonder why it never caught on? ::)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
hey W E did you change the string on that reel

me and the wife were thinking of buying one for her and one for me so we can see which one of us can catch the biggest fish

oh i was asking if you changed the string because most of those little poles dont have the string tied on the end

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fishingkats said:
hey W E did you change the string on that reel

me and the wife were thinking of buying one for her and one for me so we can see which one of us can catch the biggest fish

oh i was asking if you changed the string because most of those little poles dont have the string tied on the end
No I didn't, I just left it the way it came from the store. You mean I have to pull all the line off just to see if they forgot to tie it onto the spool? They wouldn't do that would they?

Dang, now the question has come up, I suppose I will have to. :mad:

Well, that's OK, I was thinking of putting 450 yd. of 45 lb. test on it anyway. Just in case I catch a bigger catfish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I always restring new rods, they have the cheapest oldest line the factories can put on them things.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
work2fish said:
I've always thought it was a great design to have a reel so integrated with the rod that when either of them break, you are forced to throw the whole thing away... Wonder why it never caught on?
I don't know, it works for other products -- like TVs with built-in VCRs. The problem with a separate rod and reel is you never get an excuse to go out and buy a whole new outfit.

Reminds me of the family that owns George Washington's original axe. They still use it every day. They have put a new handle in it 4 times, and a new head on it twice, but it's still George Washington's axe. :D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Dan said:
But how does the Barbie pole compare to say the Snoopy or Scooby Doo poles?

Dan
The Barbie poles have a lot more curves and humps... ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you walk down the street carrying a Snoopy or a Scooby Doo, you will feel a distinct pull to the side, every time you pass by a fire hydrant.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts