Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timothy Horner at Irideus gave me a very good discount on three of the Irideus fly boxes, which will be auctioned off at the Cheyenne Mountain Trout Unlimited Chapter’s yearly auction after I finish reviewing them. The boxes will contain a high country fly box and the other two boxes will have an assortment of flies tied by members of the ColoradoMountainFishing.com and ColoradoFisherman.com websites. Both of which have some top notch tiers.

I will review all three boxes but the one that caught my eye and is now my favorite trout box of all times is the Irideus Rise box. This box holds 360 flies in slotted foam which lasts longer and is easier to get the flies in and out of then the solid foam boxes. The slots have a larger separation then the C&F boxes, which I like and dislike. I would like to see this box have one of the four sides with the slots like the C&F boxes have. This would allow for more flies and smaller midges to be put on that one side. The reason I like that the slots are farther apart, I don’t find the need to try and cram as many flies as possible in the box. My terrestrial patterns sit fine next to each other and not on top of each other like I had them in the C&F box.

The thing that puts this box above the other boxes on the market is the center page that “rises” out of the box when opened. It allows you to see all your flies no need to flip the page like on similar boxes. The center page stands on its own so it’s not in your way no matter which page you are adding or removing flies. The box sides are magnetized so on those occasions when your numb fingers drop a fly back into the box it’s not going anywhere. Its water proof and floats very no matter what the current is like.

The only way I could make this box perfect for me would be to make one side deeper so I could put my hoppers, turk’s, and buggers on it. It would then be the perfect back country box allowing for a side to hold every type of fly I would need in the high country chasing those wild cutthroats and brookies. It wouldn’t have to be much deeper since I’m technically doing it that way anyways, but the hoppers are getting flattened a little but are still fishable. But as it’s designed now it will fit most angler’s needs.

This box is one of the best fly boxes I’ve ever had the pleasure to use; from design to functionality at about half the price of comparable boxes from companies like C&F this box is an all around win. Get these before this company blows up and you can no longer get them. I am buying another as soon as I can for myself or I may bid on it at the auction.

S

·
0 Posts
Ive been using their boxes since they started the company. ALL of them are great. I did a review last yr on the Reflection box if you do a search.

The Kodiak is a killer for terrestrials and dries, and the new waterproof midge box ( turquoise color) is tops !!

Found another guy online who has the 5 row 7" big waterproof box, exact same manufacturer.

Lets see... i have 8 reflections, 4 kodiaks, 2 waterproof midge, 2 big waterproof...... looks like i need to order more :)

Wasnt fond of the rise box though, but did find an alternative for the same $ from another dealer.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the other 2 here and they are very nice boxes, the merlot is practically identical to the C&F box I own... but the hing worries me with how rough I am on equipment. Will post a review on it later as I get some pictures and flies put into it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Looks like a cool box but the Umpqua pro guide fly boxes are where it is at for me. Perhaps if I decide to change I'll give them a look. Thanks for the review..

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was emailed, asking about attaching a Lanyard to the fly box so it doesnt get away from him while fishing. While there isnt any spot designed for such a thing on the box there are two small openings by the clasp that may work. Here is a photo I took for the person that asked thought I would pass it on here as well. I used on of those twisty ties that come in toy packages to give you some sort of scale reference:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I like my Irideus boxes. They are a little difficult to remove the little flies sometimes, but overall they are very good. I think I need to get a few more and at the price they sell them for why not?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice call, that would definitely fit on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts