Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've wanted to find a jacket that was less bulky than my heaviest down winter coat, but warm enough for the chill and bracing winds of spring & fall. Finding such an in-between clothing item proved to be more difficult than I anticipated. In fact I ordered what I thought would fill the bill (from BPS), but ended up sending it back. Finally I have found a jacket I am quite happy with, and thought I'd pass along my recommendation in case anyone else might be looking. Here's the item:

It's called Columbia's Heat Elite Jacket. It is sleeker than my puffy down coat, but deceptively warm. It has a windproof (most important) / waterproof / breathable shell which is part fleece. The pockets are also fleece and soft. The weirdest thing about it is its shiny 'thermal-reflective' liner. Almost metallic-silver in appearance ... totally 'space-age'. It looks like technology taken off a UFO by a scientist at Area 51 -- but it really seems to work! Even though I got it specifically for cool spring and fall days, I'm not sure it's any less effective at keeping me cozy than my fat winter jacket. As the snow fell today, I was toasty.

Anyway, the reason I thought I'd mention it is b/c Cabela's now has it in their Bargain Cave for $70 off the regular price (was $170 / now $100). Still a lot, but I'm hoping it will last years. I had enough Cabela's bucks built up, so ... (Bass Pro, Sports Authority, and other places may have this item as well, I haven't checked.) One suggestion, though: The sizes seem to run small. Get a size larger than you usually wear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts