Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good lord, pretty soon you will not even be able to tackle someone :mad: I understand if the DB intentionally goes to head with his helmet, but come on ???

I played free safety a long long time ago, lol. So now you have to size up the reciever and decide if he is going to catch it in .02 seconds Or you get flagged when you nail someone who just caught the ball on the sidelines but hasn't got his feet down ? Also recievers naturally lower their heads when the know they are about to get creamed!

Who is on rules commitee now? The broads on the View >:D

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
you know im coaching 1st and 2nd graders foot ball this year

and well my rules look alot more like pro rules then any one will ever know

the next pro rule will be no diving to make a tackle

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I agree that pro players have lost the art of tackling and lead with their helmet head down to where they cant see their target...I do agree that head down leading with the helmet should be eliminated...but not hard hits with the shoulder or rest of the body...dont want them to lead with the head...get them helmets made out of Nerf...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
let's see...the antics that james harrison came up with. "I might retire because I don't know if I know how to play football anymore". oh bs, grow up. someone changed the rules on you while you are making millions of dollars a year. holy crap, hate to see some client pass a change order on you in the workplace. you can tackle with your arms and shoulders and be successful. i have no sympathy. too many concussions and issues with memory loss after the nfl.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marledge said:
let's see...the antics that james harrison came up with. "I might retire because I don't know if I know how to play football anymore". oh bs, grow up. someone changed the rules on you while you are making millions of dollars a year. holy crap, hate to see some client pass a change order on you in the workplace. you can tackle with your arms and shoulders and be successful. i have no sympathy. too many concussions and issues with memory loss after the nfl.
Then don't play football, it is a violent game!

If you have a reciever going over the middle and he is leaving his feet to get the ball, the DB job is to make him pay for it!!!! Yeah the reciever is defenseless, but you can't expect Dbs to make split second decisions at that speed! Or wait for the reciever to catch the ball! If they go to head on purpose that should be penalized ! But sometimes the reciever lowers his head and gets hit anyway ???

Some of those hits this weekend the DB wasn't trying to spear anyone. Sometimes the reciever naturally lower his head. I saw a couple where the reciever got creamed but the back used his shoulder. Now that is illegal?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
If you are are a running back that gets the ball, breaks into the secondary, and all thats between you and the end zone is a safety, your number one goal is to lower your head and plow through him; assuming you don't have the room to go around him and outrun him. These guys are taught the basics from a young age.

I'm all for the nfl taking care of their players, but they gotta start young. You can't change 80 something years of how the game is played because of one weekends games.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing. They changed the rule where if you catch the ball and are driven out of bounds before you get both feet down, you are not awarded the catch. You have to get both feet down!

I saw a play this weekend where the reciever went up for the ball and the DB hit him full bore in the chest driving the WR way out of bounds. It wasn't a dirty play it was fatastic play on both players part. THe DB got flagged! What was he suppose to do? let the WR get both feet in ???

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Neal that was the Bronco game...Bowlen still had money coming in on the refs when the game was in doubt...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zman said:
Neal that was the Bronco game...Bowlen still had money coming in on the refs when the game was in doubt...
Your right it was :p To many helmut to helmut hits when I was young, LOL.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Never thought I would see a QB fined for a tackle...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kevin-kolb-philadelphia-eagles-fined-for-tackle

Kevin Kolb's stellar performance last Sunday was a bit costly.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles quarterback has been fined $5,000 for – get this – a horse-collar tackle in Sunday's game.

It is unclear whether Kolb is contemplating retirement as the league cracks down on his tackling technique.

Kolb was named the NFC offensive player of the week for his performance against the Falcons on Sunday, during which he completed 23 of 29 passes for 326 yards, with three touchdowns and one interception for a career-high 133.6 passer rating.

Judging by the league's assessment of his tackling skills, Kolb will probably not be earning defensive honors any time soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts