Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wasn't paying attention to the depth and ran my prop into some muddy/gravel bottom yesterday. Luckily didn't break it but put a few dings in it and definitely affected the top end speed. It was the original 3 blade aluminum prop so I guess it's time for a new one anyway. Looking for suggestions for a new one. I run a 14 foot aluminum lund and the motor is an early '80's 20hp mercury 2-stroke. I usually fish between 4000-8000' in elevation. I'm more interested in top end speed than quick starts. Does anyone have a suggestion for an all around prop for this? I looked for some earlier posts and found a couple but really just trying to see if anyone has suggestions without getting too technical. Thanks for any input you can give.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took one of those worksharp knife sharpeners to the original aluminum prop and cleaned it up pretty good. Figured out it is a 9 pitch. Anyone else have a similar boat to mine and have recommendations? I've been looking on the internet and I think I'm more confused than ever. Seems like a 9 pitch is the equivalent of more torque. Thinking of getting an 11 pitch for the new one to try getting a little more top end speed. Any thoughts? Thanks for the Wheatridge tip but I live in New Castle and no plans to go to Denver anytime soon. It doesn't look like there are too many options for this old motor anyway so i might just get an 11 from Cabelas and return it if I don't like it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts