Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have a extra Minn Kota electric motor prop? its the 3 5/8 or mk-7 I seem to have lost mine yesterday between lakewood and Chatfield.ordered one from bass pro but its two weeks out

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anybody have a extra Minn Kota electric motor prop? its the 3 5/8 or mk-7 I seem to have lost mine yesterday between lakewood and Chatfield.ordered one from bass pro but its two weeks out
hey doc believe it or not thats where I got one today so now here's my problem I got the mkp-7 that the factory told me to get the problem is the shaft coming out of the motor is one half inch diameter and the hole in the prop is three eights im thinking im going to half to drill out the hole to make it work problem is if I do and it doesn't work ive ruined a $30 dollar prop. if it was just plastic id do it in a second but there is a metal sleeve in there also I dont know what you think

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
hey doc believe it or not thats where I got one today so now here's my problem I got the mkp-7 that the factory told me to get the problem is the shaft coming out of the motor is one half inch diameter and the hole in the prop is three eights im thinking im going to half to drill out the hole to make it work problem is if I do and it doesn't work ive ruined a $30 dollar prop. if it was just plastic id do it in a second but there is a metal sleeve in there also I dont know what you think
You could drill I guess but if you check there on the shelf above or below they should have another prop with the correct diameter you are looking for. I ran into this this also, they used to be all the same size but a few years ago the newer larger motors (maybe it's 24v instead of 12v?) use a bigger diameter shaft. I don't remember a metal sleeve but as I recall the larger diameter shaft uses a nylock hex nut instead of a wingnut. And there is another one with an even bigger hex nut. BTW there are aftermarket props now that you can get on ebay or amazon that have three or even four blades instead of two. Although the stock blades cut weeds real well when you run into them. The new ones with more blades do seem to be more efficient as advertised -- move more water so can use less power to go the same speed and batteries last a while longer during the day.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I decided before I drill id check one more time with Minn Kota and sure enough now the tell me I nee a mkp 8 instead of 7 .so its ordered but won't be here till next week so I guess I forgo the fishing this weekend. at least I can return the seven to sportsman. and your correct the motor is 24 volt hence the bigger diameter shaft and yes ill be using a nyloc nut this time

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Sportsmans usually has all three sizes of blades right there (one of each). But their shelves are pretty bare these days. Like most modern auto parts stores they apparently use the efficient Japanese “Just in time” method of stocking which allows individual stores to carry a bare minimum of items while a central warehouse somewhere keeps the bulk of the inventory and computers keep track of what is sold in real time. Problem is if that store happens to sell that one item If there is a glitch anywhere it takes forever to restock. No going back to the olden days I guess. . . Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so hopefully more than just you read this but yes I did get it figured out and as luck would have it I was working in ft collins yesterday and a friend of mine reminded me there is a Minn Kota service guy up there. so I called him and low and behold he had the prop I needed and not only that gave it to me. he was the nicest guy and I would recommend anybody needing service on there Minn Kota to use him. thanks for all the help doc hope all is well and your garden is growing good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts