Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't even know they existed until last winter. What do I need to know before I decide to buy one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
not to get one unless all you do is ice fish nice weather. had a jiffy prop, took it back for solo strikemaster after going to jefferson 2 holes and it froze. the solo is reliable and sips fuel. even in the miles negative degrees weather.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
All you need to know is a 18v Milwaukee drill and clam plate are 10x superior to propane.... that's all

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Must say I have seen the light! M-18 Fuel rules the ice world-

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I love my ION (aka "The Prius")! :thumb: The only time I fired up my gasser after going electric was to sell it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So propane doesn't run in the cold and i need to build a Frankenauger ;-) Got it. How many holes in 12" ice is a battery good for with the M18? With the Ion?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
So propane doesn't run in the cold and i need to build a Frankenauger ;-) Got it. How many holes in 12" ice is a battery good for with the M18? With the Ion?

Depends what size/type of auger you want to run-

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I run a 7" auger with a brushless Rigid drill and I would say on one battery I bet I could get 20-30 holes in 12" of ice. Maybe more maybe less....I dunno. Only used it one year so far and didn't really fish much thick ice.

·
Registered
936 Posts
That generalization about propane augers is completely incorrect. I have had a 10" pro4 for 4 years. It eats ice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have had a tank get too cold on me before but you just put it in your coat for a few minutes and its good to go. That was in -10 degrees in South Dakota. The newer propane models have solved that problem and its no longer an issue.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts

I have the Milwaukee 18v brushless with 2 5ah batteries. I would estimate that I can do 30+ holes in 12" ice with a 7" auger with each battery. Last weekend, I did 60-70 holes in 5"-7" ice with one battery.. If I were betting, I drilled at or over 70 but there's a chance it was in the 60s.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I've been in the 60-70 hole range in about 7" of ice on 4 amp hours with my Milwaukee with a 7" auger blade. There is no weakening of the battery over time either. It's all on until it's off.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Do any of you fuel/electric guys have concerns about thicker ice? Like Granby in March.
You just need an extension (available from manufacturer) for thicker ice.
Helpful Hint: If you are thinking you might need one, buy it now as these are plentiful this time of year but usually unavailable in late ice season.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Didn't even know they existed until last winter. What do I need to know before I decide to buy one?

If you can masterbate you can use a hand auger no problem. Lets not be lazy people! :p

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
If you can masterbate you can use a hand auger no problem. Lets not be lazy people! :p
You can use a cheese grater for your masterbation too... How's that old adage go? Just because you can do something...

·
Registered
936 Posts
You just need an extension (available from manufacturer) for thicker ice.
Helpful Hint: If you are thinking you might need one, buy it now as these are plentiful this time of year but usually unavailable in late ice season.
The thickness of the ice doesn't worry me, its the battery life. I just bought a fuel but am pretty concerned that it won't last long enough to drill enough holes for me late season. I figured I'd give it a try and keep my Jiffy pro4 handy until I can put the fuel to the test.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts