Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellas. I was wondering if there is anyone here that might be willing to share some info on the Provo? I recently took a new position at work and now will be traveling a bit to and from the Salt Lake area. I'm thinking that I might just have to bring the fly rod along for the ride. I just don't know **** about the river. Up to and including where it is. :eek: Any info would be cool!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Clackaram may have the latest info on the river. If he sees this thread he can give you some help. The Provo river obviously runs through the Provo canyon. It dumps out into Utah Valley which is just south of the Salt Lake Valley. If you are driving from Denver and use I-70 through Green River, you take the route up through Price and Spanish Fork Canyon. That route dumps you out into Utah Valley. A short drive north and you should start seeing signs for Provo Canyon. It has been ages (back in the 60's) since I fished the river. Now I believe quite a bit of it is private. With a bit of study or use of a guide perhaps you can get a better feel for where you can get on the river. There is a big Cabela's store in American Fork ((just a bit further up I-15) that can probably help as well.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I thought you were a kept man and did not have to work. :confused:

:biggrin1:

My dreams are crashing in front of me.:sad: (I was hoping to find a sugar momma, thought if it could happen to a fellow CF'er than I might I have a chance, slim chance but a chance)

Sorry I have no input on the Provo but wish you luck in dialing it in. Look forward to some fishing reports from there.

Congrats on the new position at work.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's been a while, but...

I've fished the (Middle section?) of the Provo outside of Park City before, although it was only a day. There's actually some nice fish in there. We fished pretty close to the dam, I think it was just below Jordanelle Reservoir. I know they have some pretty good size trout there, but it gets crowded though as there isn't a ton of rivers near SLC....

We fished it in August, lots of PMDs and Caddis going off and managed to hook a few using hoppers. I think it's pretty typical of most Western Rivers from an entomological standpoint.

Here's a link to some quick info on the river, from Trout Bum 2, a shop in Park City. Nice guys, did a guided day with them that same trip out to Utah on the Green River on Section A - now THAT'S a trout river....
http://www.troutbum2.com/Provo-River-Fly-Fishing-Guide-Service/

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you were a kept man and did not have to work. :confused:

:biggrin1:

My dreams are crashing in front of me.:sad: (I was hoping to find a sugar momma, thought if it could happen to a fellow CF'er than I might I have a chance, slim chance but a chance)

Sorry I have no input on the Provo but wish you luck in dialing it in. Look forward to some fishing reports from there.

Congrats on the new position at work.
I was. I started doing some part time work about a year ago to help my wife. She's the VP of HR for a real estate management company. I took a job as a district manager, now overseeing 12 mobile home parks. The parks are in Monte Vista, Pagosa, Durango, Montrose, Craig and Salt Lake. This was all done by my choice, but I'm starting to question why I did it? LOL! The good news, most of my parks are right near great rivers. And I will be traveling somewhat often. So there is that!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clackaram may have the latest info on the river. If he sees this thread he can give you some help. The Provo river obviously runs through the Provo canyon. It dumps out into Utah Valley which is just south of the Salt Lake Valley. If you are driving from Denver and use I-70 through Green River, you take the route up through Price and Spanish Fork Canyon. That route dumps you out into Utah Valley. A short drive north and you should start seeing signs for Provo Canyon. It has been ages (back in the 60's) since I fished the river. Now I believe quite a bit of it is private. With a bit of study or use of a guide perhaps you can get a better feel for where you can get on the river. There is a big Cabela's store in American Fork ((just a bit further up I-15) that can probably help as well.
That's the way I went. Left on Monday and came back yesterday. The snow wasn't much fun but it looked like it's a beautiful drive. From my home in Hotchkiss it took me 6 hours. I'm guessing W/O the weather I could cut it to 5 hrs.

Thanks for the input to all! Hopefully in a short time, I will have something to report!

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's the way I went. Left on Monday and came back yesterday. The snow wasn't much fun but it looked like it's a beautiful drive. From my home in Hotchkiss it took me 6 hours. I'm guessing W/O the weather I could cut it to 5 hrs.

I drive it from Montrose and it takes me just around 5 hours with good roads. Be aware that just going out of Price towards Spanish Fork (or the other way around if you are coming from Utah Valley) there is generally a speed trap somewhere within the vicinity of Price and the canyon start. I see more folks pulled over there than anywhere else on the highway.

Again, I haven't fished the Provo since I was in college but back then it used to put out some big browns and some rainbows. The idea that you may be visiting Craig then Salt Lake I would certainly take a try at the Green River. It isn't that far away from Vernal if you are traveling that way either coming or going between Salt Lake and Craig. The Green is a great river to float but there are some good access points on both the A and B section. I haven't fished the C section so not sure of access points for that section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fished the Middle Fork of the Provo for a week in September.I can second the recommendation above to stop in the Trout Bum2 fly shop in Park City.The Retail mgr /guide there is Peter Robinson.Extremely helpful in locations and fly selection.He will pull up Google Earth on the store computer and show you where to go.I took his fly and spot recommendations and did well.Liked him so much I took a full day guided trip with him and we did very well.First rate guy and guide.
Good luck with the new position

·
Registered
273 Posts
I worked out there for the summer about 15 years ago and stayed right on the river in town (Residence Inn). I fished almost every day I was there. There are three distinct sections of the river.

There's a rural lower section in town that gets stocked and fished a lot. But its lots of fun and very convenient for bagging some trout after work. Small urban water.

The middle section runs through the canyon below Deer Creek Res. Its a great fishery - bigger water and some really nice browns and bows. It's not too far from town and well worth checking out...lots of fun to be had there.

The upper section below Jordanelle is more of a freestone type river. I only fished it a few times but I did bag a huge whitefish there, as well as trout.

My favorite was the canyon section - easy access and fishing at night in the summer until about 10pm was an amazing way to end each work day. You'll have a whale of a time exploring those waters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts