Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one ever hunt ptarmigan? I've lived in colorado my whole life and I do not think that I have ever seen one. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I've seen em at Mt. Evans when visiting that tourist place. Other than that, the Marty Souffers' videos are as close to as I can get to ptarmigan. Heard that it's hard huntin.

1eyeReD

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've shot them and seen them in game unit 19 up in the fort collins area while grouse hunting. One day me and my uncle's were grouse hunting up there and this group was shooting like crazy. So we went to inspect and this group was shooting at Ptarmigan. So we kind of figured out where they were.

They are hard to find and see though because of there size and color. They seem to like the highest part of the mountain which makes it difficult if you are lazy like me. plus the season is too short. Stick to grouse they are easier and more plentiful.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Hunted them on cottonwood pass, the hardest thing about hunting them is getting to them. There usually above tree line and hang out in the rock slides. Once you find them, they are as dumb of bird you could ever hunt. I think one could actually catch one with his hands. Pretty birds however and know they are starting to turn white.

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
Ive seen tons of them while hiking way above treeline to go fishing.Above guanella pass,above rollins pass,above loveland pass.I've never seen one below about 12,000 ft.You can kill them with a rock,theyre so dumb.or trusting..

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
So do you guys think I could nail em with an arrow at 10 to 15yds or would they spook and fly beforehand?

Reason why is I cruise through Cottonwood Pass occasionally during September & October.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

If you're Hmong, it's one of the various species of "stupid chicken". If you're not, it's a grouse-like bird that likes to wait and "see" what happens.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks for the pointers maybe I'll give it a try this year! I'll post if i do anygood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts