Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conversation topic ...

No fooling, I know where I can go to catch huge largemouth (in CO), even up & over 10 lbs. I find I have little interest ... b/c it's private (I have permission/invitation). I could go and get a pic with a monster bucketmouth, but so what? I just can't get excited about privately stocked places; can't get beyond the 'aquarium' feel. Same goes for similar situations with trout, catfish, or any other species. Was even told of private lakes (in CO) that hold pure strain golden trout. Still, the motivation needle didn't move. To me the public water aspect is part of the sporting challenge. (Same with legal vs. illegal fishing, by the way.)

Not saying this is good, bad, or indifferent, just saying. I know some people don't have this hang-up at all. Thought it would be interesting to hear how others approach/feel about this issue. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
It's fun and all but I agree, it's not really fishing. Like SLAYER says>>> "Private water don't count"

It is kind of like fun fishing vs tournament fishing. Fun fishing is fun but I just can't get it up unless there something on the line(no pun intended).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I belong to a local rod & gun club and it's worth every penny I pay for dues.
Big trout, walleye, bass, crappie and channel cat, nice shady camping, trap shooting, waterfowl hunting, boating, no hassle if the dog is off leash....best of all no rude, noisy crowds!
With the price of gas now and the busy schedule most of us have it's a no brainer for me.
I can be at the lake catching fish in 30 minutes.
I still fish public water often, especially rivers but I'll never give up my membership at the club.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I would love to have access to a great private bass lake. They are, for the most part, fish that are stocked initially as fingerlings and that then grow up wild. The fish killers haven't raped the place and you don't have someone trying to fish in your back pocket all day. It's very enjoyable, in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
longdraw said:
... Like SLAYER says>>> "Private water don't count"
In one sense, I agree with that philosophy.

"Private water don't count." -- Slayerfish

Actually, I think Thumper's post (& GoFind's) is very valid. What we're really talking about is not whether there's anything wrong with private-water fishing (there isn't), but just the issue of how the two compare & contrast in terms of challenge and angling accomplishment -- and one's personal feelings toward it. That's all. Comes down to what one is after, I think. Pr. W leaves me w/a somewhat empty or unfulfilled feeling, but that's only me. I'm not "against" it. I just think it's in a different class or category. I like the 'even playing field' dimension of public water.

Appreciate the various perspectives.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
over the years i have fished both. i have had days on public water that were a fish per cast and days on private where you got the skunk. to me it depends on what you want to get out of your day of fishing. the private i had was not stocked in the last 20 years, so the fish were wild. i remember working on a big bass for 1 1/2 hours and finaly got her, she didn't want to eat any of the 4 lures i had with me. the only reason i didn't get the skunk that day was i hung on a small limb and was jigging it to flip it over the limb when she got POd enough to slam it. i have had 200 fish days many times on public water. so to me it dosn't matter where you fish, just that you got out

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
There is a huge difference between fishing a 10 acre private bass pond where the fish are stocked as fingerlings and left to reproduce and fend for themselves, and a 100' diameter pond full of huge pellet pig trout that are fed artificially.

I love fishing those types of bass ponds, but have zero interest in the pellet pig trout.

·
Registered
541 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
There is a huge difference between fishing a 10 acre private bass pond where the fish are stocked as fingerlings and left to reproduce and fend for themselves, and a 100' diameter pond full of huge pellet pig trout that are fed artificially.

I love fishing those types of bass ponds, but have zero interest in the pellet pig trout.
Agreed. No problem with private water, its when the fish in the private water's diets consists almost entirely of rabbit pellets - that pisses me off. No sport in it at all. In fact I've seen guys "chum" the water on some of those ponds by throwing out a bunch of pellets, let the feeding frenzy begin, and chuck a brown foam pellet fly into the mix and catch fish on every cast. Ridiculous.

Now, stocked trout eating natural food in their natural environment on private water with no crowds? Sounds like a dream.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Wouldn't make much difference to me. I suck at fishin, couldn't catch a tad pole in private or public water anyway. For me it's like when someone gives up the honey hole...don't mean I'm gonna catch fish. I'd go just for the experience, I can use all the practice I can get.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
My family and I usually fish once or twice a year on a private stretch of river that I received permission to fish starting nearly 20 years. It's a magnificent place for them. I'm ususually kept pretty busy rigging up and untangling, so I don't get a lot of fishing in when we go there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the opportunity to fish a private lake last week and I was excited... still am about having fished it.

The allure to me was what size/kind of fish are in there. You may hear lots of stories about what COULD be in there etc.
Also, some of these lakes go entirely unfished so catching a fish that is bigger than anything I've ever caught is extremely exciting.
Yes, I caught a fish that was the biggest of this particular species and I had a blast. Privacy was great too!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It depends on the lake. My dad has a membership to a private lake and I can consistently catch more and bigger fish from Lonetree.

With that being said, I might get a membership this year just to have a empty lake and a nice place to camp out.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why the DOW recognizes master angler awards from Private Ponds is beyond me

Anytime I see a report on anything private, it gets no respect from me

If a lake is private, those fish are stupid and fat, they don't get any regular pressure.

It's a lot tougher to land large fish out of public waters in all aspects of fishing

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Both have their fun factors. I primarily fish public waters, but by floating rivers you go through a lot of private land. I think your question could be more, stocked and fed fish vs. wild fish. AS stated above there is private fish that get stocked as fingerling or fry and left to go from there, and there is stocked and fed fish. I would choose wild fish every time, but...... Getting to whack several trout over 10 pounds in a day can be a hoot, especially at the expense of some rich-a$$ douche who tried to make a river their own.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Hop said:
Conversation topic ...

No fooling, I know where I can go to catch huge largemouth (in CO), even up & over 10 lbs. I find I have little interest ... b/c it's private (I have permission/invitation).
I could go for you and give a full report... :p

SS

·
Registered
25 Posts
swimbait said:
Hop said:
Conversation topic ...

No fooling, I know where I can go to catch huge largemouth (in CO), even up & over 10 lbs. I find I have little interest ... b/c it's private (I have permission/invitation).
I could go for you and give a full report... :p

SS
I agree the only way to make a good decision is to tell me where it is & I will let you know if it is sporting >:D

Seriously, I used to have access to a private pond with a million small bass & bluegills & it was the ideal place to bring kids & get them excited about fishing. The only time I ever went by myslef was when I needed to get away from the world (other fishermen included).

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I belonged to a private club east of CS that has 4-5 small lakers stocked with bass and crappie. Was a member for 3 years and by the end there just wasn't any challenge and it ceased being fun-would catch 5 bass in 4 casts. It didn't help that there were soooooo many bass that they were stunted and most were around 11-12 inches.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Hop said:
Conversation topic ...

No fooling, I know where I can go to catch huge largemouth (in CO), even up & over 10 lbs. I find I have little interest ... b/c it's private (I have permission/invitation). I could go and get a pic with a monster bucketmouth, but so what? I just can't get excited about privately stocked places; can't get beyond the 'aquarium' feel. Same goes for similar situations with trout, catfish, or any other species. Was even told of private lakes (in CO) that hold pure strain golden trout. Still, the motivation needle didn't move. To me the public water aspect is part of the sporting challenge. (Same with legal vs. illegal fishing, by the way.)

Not saying this is good, bad, or indifferent, just saying. I know some people don't have this hang-up at all. Thought it would be interesting to hear how others approach/feel about this issue. Cheers!
I would love to take part in this debate with all of you guys... but I dont really have any private pond experience... Hop.... if you wouldn't mind taking me out to this bass pond of yours so i can get an idea of what you are talking about.. then i could surely provide much better insight for this thread ;)

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Hop said:
No fooling, I know where I can go to catch huge largemouth (in CO), even up & over 10 lbs. I find I have little interest ... b/c it's private (I have permission/invitation). I could go and get a pic with a monster bucketmouth, but so what?
I think that's a spot that would require some field testing to be certain. :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts