Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the ugly red boat to Pueblo today. Got there a little late 08:15. I did this on purpose so that someone else could break through the ice at the North marina. Surprisingly, there was no ice around the docks.

Trolled Rapala along the north shore line most of the day but did pause to jig occasionally. Even tried a bottom bouncer in about 60 ft. of water trailing a live minnow. Got three hits all on the Rapala, one "bink" then nothing, one good hit but came off and left a small chunk of meat on the back hook (does it count as a fish landed if you land a chunk of the fish??), and landed one rainbow about 14 inches (sorry no pics on this trip).

It was windy (say average 13 to 15 knots out of the west-northwest) but manageable ? except I could not stay stationary, or even close to stationary, to jig properly ? with that wind it was more like trolling the jig. Water temperature was 37°F.

Did see a few other boats but was too far away from them to identify.

Was a pleasant sunny day and as a bonus, I didn't get skunked! :D Fished till about 17:30.

Mac

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mac. I had heard that Pueblo rarely freezes over and can be fished by boat pretty much all year. Do you know if anyone has been getting into any wipers there this time of year and if so how they are getting them?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm new to the area and I've never fished Pueblo. My boat is a 14' flat bottomed pram with an electric trolling motor. If I can get my pickup to the waters edge, I can launch this boat. Is there anywhere I can put this boat in besides the marinas?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I think you can drive pretty close like at the sailboard area...the wind can come up in a hurry down there...just a word of caution...with a small boat and electric motor...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was there on Saturday and fished by shiprock all day. I really didn't graph any fish except in the North shore marina. Lost a total of 5 lures jigging the rock piles by shiprock. It was a very nice day. On the boat, the air temp got up to 62 degrees, I even got a little sun burned on my face. No fish but it sure is nice to be on the water.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
MacGyver-The wind can make it impossible to vertical jig. I try to go down there on the calm days. I'll look for your red boat when I'm down there from now on-usually try to get on the water there at least once a week. We've had a warm but windy winter.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Grandpa- you can put in near the dam or at sailboard beach, but like was stated above, the wind can (and will) come up nearly every day in a big way. I would be extremely cautious, especially in the winter, of launching a small craft with electric motor. I've seen big boats go down in the waves on Pueblo and have had a couple close calls myself in a fully rigged bass boat.

If you put in at either marina, you can still take advantage of the reservoir without putting yourself at risk. The back of the north marina is always a good spot for bass/walleye/wiper. There are some steep bluff banks back there and the creek channel is normally one of the first places to turn on in the spring with big spawning bass.

The south marina can also be very good. There are some shoals across from the dock that can be fished in the winter for walleyes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Methiolate Man,

Where is shiprock?

I have a contour map of Pueblo but is is not identified on the map.

Thanks,
Mac

·
Registered
344 Posts
Shiprock Coves and Shiprock are both on the north side of the reservior located in between The North Shore Marina and Sailboat Flats. Shiprock is a gigantic cluster of huge boulders located just outside the mouth of Shiprock Coves where the river channel swings near the Bluffs. Kirbydog and Earplug have very good luck there catching bass, walleye, and even catfish.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Methiolate Man or Kibydog,

I still do not know where "shiprock" is ... I posted a set of detailed maps (I hope they turned out) and apparently your names for the place do not match what the official names are, or the area is just not labeled. I have spotted a sailboat launch along the north shore east of the north shore marina. I may know what you are talking about though ... Is it located about 40% of the way (going east) from the North shore marina to the dam face just south of eastern-most Juniper Breaks campground? or is it west of the North shore marina?

Pueblo - East half:

Pueblo - West half:

Thanks again,
Mac

P.S.
I also posed links below so you can maybe get a bigger version ...

http://i1.tinypic.com/muk3s9.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/muk36t.jpg

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Map is pretty small and mine is in my boat...

But in the above post is the verbiage:

eastern-most Juniper Breaks campground?
it is straight below the "B" in Breaks...right off the shoreline...which would make it as you say
Is it located about 40% of the way (going east) from the North shore marina to the dam

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ya know, its kind of funny. Alot of guys seem obsessed with the "show me the spot" mentality and I've never had a single question in all my posts on Pueblo about the technique. I think I'm done posting fishing reports.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Kirby,

Technique, whats that? ;D ;D ;D.

I would love to hear, I kind of felt that asking about something even more sacred then location was over the line. A snap jigging technique by chance? Do you tip the spoon with anything?

T

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Please please kirbydog tell me the best technique for catching an early spring [email protected] wallhanging worthy type wiper at Pueblo. A friend of mine got a 27in trolling a plastic shad type grub but I think that was pure luck. I had a monster try to eat a 12in trout right at the boat when I was bringing it in, bout gave my a heart attack. :eek: I have caught some 20 and 21 in wiper trolling in my friends boat, but it is real hit and miss. Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mac---Follow the River channel off the dam. It swings real close to shore there on the North side. The very first turn the channel takes there near the bluff is the beginning of Shiprock Coves, also the rock pile called Shiprock is right there at the channel bend. Right now, Shiprock aka big pile of rocks is out of the water, but in the past it has been submerged. Good luck finding it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Meth. Man & Zman,

I know exactly the spot ... I especially like the little saddle on the east side of shiprock ... neet bit of structure.

Mac

1 - 18 of 18 Posts