Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tough day on the lake to be sure. Caught just two bass, a largemouth and a spot. Had several other bites but they got away and with the wind at 20+ and wicked gusts I'm sure there were other bites I never felt. Got one on a jerk, the other on a twin tailed grub.

Water temp was 47 everywhere I went on the lake. Water has really cleared up over the past 2 weeks-you can see bottom in 6 ft on the lower end. Guy at the inspection station at the North Shore told me I was the only boat that went out today-as I was leaving there was a boat coming down to the ramp.

Gotta believe it could have been alot better day without the wind.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It couldv'e also been a good day fishing from shore, on the bank the wind was blowing into. I;ve had many of good days for bass and 'eyes with the wind blowing in my face. Generally on days that boats can't get on the water.

I know Pueblo is a big body of water that you can't easily access the water you want to fish from shore. Just a little food for thought. There are 200 days a year I wish I had a boat, the other days I'm thankful to fish from shore!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi kirbydog- That was my brother in law & I coming as you were going. Down on the west side many areas were iced over & the water temp where we trolled was 36. After two hours wasted there, we headed to the 47 degree water, casting jerks along the rocky ledges (a couple coves east of the north marina). Boy, those coves offered some wind & wave protection today! My BIL from MS caught his first walleye ever in the first 5 minutes along these rocks (17 3/4"). 45 minutes later I caught a 16" eye. I only wish the morning had not blown up with work & other delays. I think if we'd had more than an hour in that spot we would have caught several more. We didn't get on the water until 2:30pm & had to leave at 5:45pm.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were fishing where I spent most of my day-like you to get out of the wind. I was a little surprised I only got one on a jerk as my fishfinder was marking alot of fish suspended 10-15 ft down in deeper water. Congrats on the walleye. I can always tell when I hook one-they just fight different than the bass.

·
Registered
958 Posts
kirbydog said:
You were fishing where I spent most of my day-like you to get out of the wind. I was a little surprised I only got one on a jerk as my fishfinder was marking alot of fish suspended 10-15 ft down in deeper water. Congrats on the walleye. I can always tell when I hook one-they just fight different than the bass.
yep I was marking thick suspended fish 10-15 ft deep... with a walleye the thrill is more the bite than the fight, especially since these were hitting on the pauses

1 - 5 of 5 Posts