Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an infection in my hand from work, so the doc gave me the day off. Perfect timing as the barometric pressure was dropping, but the weather was still nice. Had about 6 bumps (one was on for about 3 tail shakes) as well as 2 18 inchers that I was able to land. Fished from about 12:30 to sunset. The ones I got were app. 15 feet down alongside steep structure. Same as usual, intermediate sink tip (3-4 ips.) and a white meat whistle. I got some tungsten cones that I believe give a little bit more pronounced up and down action while stripping them in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That first pic makes it look like a lotta work in a tube. Well done.

Im amazed at what a difference tung makes on flies. I fished some brookie ponds where the fish were super locked on bottom presentations. I had to resort to a spinning rod with nano and small marabou jigs, when my standard BHbuggers failed to stay deep enough(and my patience wore thin). I tied up tung head buggers for my 2nd trip in there and fished a 10-13' leader, that was the answer. Flyfishing is much more enjoybale than spin fishing, for trout. Stuck a few over 18" on the tung buggers.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon it's work if you don't enjoy it. I would like to get a kayak some day, although I wonder if control in the wind would be an issue. Kinda funny how wind is such a pain in the butt for travelling in a belly boat and casting a fly rod, but seems to turn the fish on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have you ever fly fished the north channel below the res for walleye? As a kid I use to catch a few good ones when throwing streamers for trout in it. That is when flows permitted it, otherwise it's one deep fast moving channel.lol. Wouldn't surprise me that it's off limits these days though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts