Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a report for all you open water freaks like Zman. Got down there about 8 am but it was too windy to spoon then about 11 am the wind died down and I ended up at Shiprock where I got a real nice spot in 28 ft on a 3/4 oz crome and blue kastmaster. Had a couple of other bumps, then nothing. Hooked what felt like a real nice fish in 35 ft near the entrance to north marina cove but he shook off half way up. That was it. Kind of a sorry report but I graphed alot of suspended fish well off the bottom and the bite just wasn't on for me.

Water temp was 38-40, lightly stained. Fish seemed to be mostly suspended and scattered-never saw any real good concentrations. I'm thinking when the water temp drops a litttle more and some more shad die off the fish might group up more and be on a better bite. Gonna go back down this weekend. Lots of guys fishing from the bank down by the dam-saw over a dozen trucks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I almost headed down today also. Anytime fishing is a good time.
Maybe this weekend also.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Keep after it Kirby, and if you figgure that lake out, please share, I hit it alot in the summer with my pops, and it has kicked my arse, to say the least. we can usually catch alot of crappie, a few bows and little bass but i want wallys.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nice, it sure is good to hear about open water for a change. Ice is for cooling down my mixed drink, LOL. Kirby, how is the lake level? In your opinion, what are the bass doing right now? Also, when does Brush Hollow usually thaw out? Thanks

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MMan-Lake has come up a few feet the past couple of weeks-keep your fingers crossed for good snowmelt this spring. I don't think the bass have really gone to their winter hangouts yet. In past years I've caught almost all my smallies in 40-55 ft in the winter and I didn't graph much at that depth this week.

Brush Hollow usually ices out in late Feb. But who knows? Thiswarm weather keeps up we could have some open water in a week or so.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have cabin fever so bad, I planned a trip to Florida at the end of Jan to catch some spawning largemouth's. Kirby, has brush hollow come up yet, or does it only come up in the spring from the runoff. When I was there in Oct, it was so low, I think Quail lake had more water.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to say-in past years it has come up over the winter but alot depends on water releases from Skaguay down Beaver Cr. As soon as this lake ices out you can catch pre-spawn walleye on jerks. I got a pond master boat from BPS so I just drag it down to the water if its not up to the ramp.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The water at Brush hollow res. is on it's way up the ramp is in the water open water down by the dam and all the way around and some folks fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts