Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Pueblo a try yesterday. (Only my second time there) A bit (alot) windy but otherwise not too bad. (Good thing about Pueblo - you can hide in the coves) Fished primarily to the east of the north boat ramp toward the dam. The short story is I got two smallies. 14" and about 10". I got both while fishing for something else. I got the larger one near sailboard flats while fishing for trout - trolling a brown wooly bugger behind a dodger. The smaller one I got off the point just east of the south marina as the shoreline goes around the point toward the west on a deep diving husky jerk. (Shad pattern)

Water temps in that end of the lake (near the dam) was about 50.5 to 52 degrees. Clear - I could see the bottom at 12 feet.
I wanted to go to the west end but my little boat is a cork when the wind gets to blowing so I headed in.

Pueblo is a big lake to fish in a day if you don't know where you are going (or what you are doing).

The boat ramp chatter was about the same, not much happening. Although I found out the inlet end was about 60 degrees and there was a little better bite. No fish were caught - just bites. The fish are always biting where I'm NOT fishing.

I also tried plastics on the points and in the brush.
Cranks on the points and over the brush.
Bottom bouncing crawlers

Advice is welcome. I really like pueblo but it is a bit intimidating.
It seems that there should be bluegills and crappie everywhere with all the brush but I didn't see a single one. Any big ones in there? Where?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Pueblo has had low water for 3-4 years. The crappie and largemouth bass populations have declined due to lack of suitable spawning areas (due to that low water) and heavy predation of their spawn (also due to that low water). So while theres alot of sunken brush right now, it hasn't been that way for years. The smallmouth and spots have held their own and the wiper and walleye seem to be doing fine. In short, fish that relate to cover have done poorly, fish that relate to structure have done OK.

Pueblo is a hard lake to pattern but May is a real good month for just about everything. One thing about this lake you can take to the bank-if you fish for bass forget the "bubba" technique-cranks, spinnerbaits, etc. Fish finesse-light line, stuff like tubes, senkos, dropshotting. You'll be rewarded with alot more bites. Ed

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ed, You are a walking encyclopedia; kudos man!

JD - I love to fish Pueblo as well. I go straight to the points and work jigheads with rubber, tipped with minnows. Ed is dead-on in saying May is a killer month at Pueblo. I rarely get skunked. I toss the jig up against the bluffs, rock points, and stumps. I let it sink and work the water column in this fashion. I've caught, Crappie, Walleyes, Large and Smallmouth bass using this method.

It took me a couple of seasons to feel confident fishing Pueblo; lots of fish to be caught. Stick with it JD you'll get it figured out. Load up on minnows in May, you'll need plenty.

Pete

E

·
0 Posts
You've got some excellent advice here from two veterans. I'd like to add one thought. The senkos, adn other soft baits will also catch the walleye, BUT...I have always done best for the bigger eyes there on cranks! :eek:

Shad, and crawfish patterns seem to be the trick, fished so they bump off the bottom!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
EyeGuy-Right you are-I caught most of my bigger walleye last year on cranks. But heres something I don't get-I catch channel cats at many other lakes on cranks but in all the years I've fished Pueblo I've NEVER caught a cat on cranks. I mean not once. I have on tubes but never on a crank. Have you? I just don't know why that lake would be any different than the others I fish. Ed

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed, Pete, Eyeguy, (and anyone else that will reply)

Thanks for the input! The other time I went to Pueblo was in May and you are right. It seemed like one of us had a fish on every cast in the early AM. We caught some nice walleye, bass, wipers, trout. I did notice the bite drops to almost nil as the play boaters start waking up.

(BTW That was my first wiper - I was impressed at the fight for the size of the fish. Makes me want to try Union and a clouser with Rottal and the Union Res gang! Wiper on a fly rod - whew, I better get more backing)

I have at least one more trip planned this spring (in May). I'll post my plans to see if any of you guys will be down there too - swap stories and a beverage or two.

Jeff

E

·
0 Posts
Ed, I have not ever caught a cat on cranks at Pueblo, either! I never thoguth about it, but you are correct. I caught one that was at least 12 lbs at Gelndo last year, and another that was 14-15 at Elehant Buttel the year before...Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking!

And as for you, JD_anyfish-I'd love to meet up with you down there sometime. Maybe we can get Ed and Pete to come at the same time, and we'll swap some lies and tricks!

;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eyeguy,

I don't get to Pueblo very often. If we are going to get together to fish and tell lies, Chatfield is a better bet. I go out after work a couple-three times a week. (Look for a blue 14 foot Lund with a 25 Honda outboard.)

The May trip I planned to Pueblo....I have to plan for the fall I guess. I checked my schedule and I have a couple of classes starting the week that I had targeted for fishing Pueblo. I'm almost done with school and then there will only be work to get in the way.

Reading the description that Ed posted about Pueblo (Apr 25) and the blue Lowe and yellow lab... I think I may have talked to him at the boat ramp at Pueblo on the 20th. Ed was that you?

See ya out there,
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts