Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started fishing just before 7 AM on the West end.  Was trolling for the fat Trout.  Something is differant with the fish as they would hit the lures and not get hooked I missed 6 good strikes trolling little Husky Jerks.  Are they getting smarter? or there mouth is full of Shad and they can't take another bite?
  I saw some other boats getting hits but only saw one fish get netted.
  The fish are in the clear water, didn't get any hits in the stained water on the West end.
   Some Shad doing a slow belly float around the Lake.
   Jet skiers starting about 10 AM now.
   I'm going to try some night fishing.  Will be my first time, anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sure do,

Fish sailboard flats and shiprock - BOTTOM BOUNCING.........been alot fish being caught in those 2 locations using bottom bouncers.

Let me know how you do ?

I'll be out there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
19 ft. Gray Crestliner

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We fished the west end with rattle traps and did very well on 4lb trout, (see prevoius thread has pics). Also caught some 6lb wipers. I will be out Saturday morning early. 17ft green/tan lund.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my first year fishing Pueblo and I was going to skip this weekend because I've heard it's such a mess down there on 3-day weekends. I fish to relax and it just didn't sound too relaxing.

Am I wrong about the crowds?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea, there will be crowds but the lake is so big that you can always find a cove or the no-wake zones to fish............I can't go without fishing.....If I have to hook a jet skier....I will

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to fish the West end early on Friday. I have some Chrome Rattle Traps that I'd forgotten about. Going to paddle the canoe around mid island, Denver cove, looking for Trout to Smoke and Wipers to fry.
Will stay home and relax rest of the weekend.
Wednesday, I did hook a Bayliner for a short time. Was trolling across the narrows by the island.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Agree with Wiperman; lake is large enough so that it's not a Chatfield type crowd.

I'll be there this weekend, in a Tracker ProGuide V16, with my daughter's tow tube tied to the top of the Bimini; will stick out like a sore thumb. Will start fishing Friday night through to Saturday morn.  Will depart Sunday afternoon. Looks like the weather is going to be great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
WEATHER LOOKS HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The water temp is rising everyday on the Lowrance fish finder in the boat.
The fish are getting active big-time......get while the gettin is good time is NOW!

See you guys out there.........I'll be fishing sun up to sun down Fri - Mon

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Took my wife to Pueblo today got there around 9. Fished Turkey Creek toward the RR Tressel. My wife hooked something on a booper with a minnow and it broke her line around a bush. I spent most of the time retying since I should have had heavier line than 6#. The only reason I went there was last Monday when I was down two men had a cooler full of big catfish they caught in that cove. I would say that they probably had 40#. The biggest was 10# and the smallest that they kept was about 3#. It was the biggest catch of catfish I have seen.
I should have bottom bounced the coves but hind sight is just that. My wife had a good time and that's what counts.
Those of you who are going to fish this weekend be safe and have a good time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A lot of boat traffic can be a plus for walleye.Fish were the bank is muddy in otherwise clear water.This a proven pattern on Pueblo.Try grubs,and tube lures.A lot of times the water is only muddy a few feet deep,with clear below.Acts like shade.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bojon, you're dead on.

A couple of years back during a scorching day in July (felt like a 100+), I fished the cove across the the lake opposite the north marina, It was just after 12:30 pm in the afternoon, and we were pulling walleyes and bass out of water that was about two feet deep. They were feeding just on the inside of the mudline, where the waves from the ski boats were breaking on the shore line. It was an unbelievable afternoon!

·
Registered
83 Posts
PuebloWiperMan said:
Yea, there will be crowds but the lake is so big that you can always find a cove or the no-wake zones to fish............I can't go without fishing.....If I have to hook a jet skier....I will
"HOOK A JET SKIER?" just dont hook the fat guy on a yellow tigershark, i dont want to feel that kind of pain. but i am VERY considerate of fishermen when i'm out to play. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts